A question regarding frame thread plating, chrome etc...

GeorgeOC

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance. I recently had a stock frame power coated... The process left the threaded studs for the rear sets, and other bits came back a bit dull and coarse for my preference... Are there any best practices for reconditioning those threaded elements of the frame?

Buy a good metric tap and die set. They will come in handy for not only cleaning powder or paint out of threads they do a pretty good job of fixing buggered up threads.
I have a Craftsman 37 piece set that has been a great help for 10- 12 years now. I have broken a few of the tiny ones by forcing them a bit to hard. Get a better tap handle. The one that comes in this set is a die looking thing with a bunch of holes the taps fit into, This is why I broke the bits I did. The taps are not centered in the handle. This off center force flexes the tap.
A handle that has the adjustable jaws is better.
Also any where you need a ground, like all the engine to frame mounts you should grind off the powder where the two pieces of metal touch. The powder is a very good electrical insulator.
Leo
Leo

Buy a good metric tap and die set. They will come in handy for not only cleaning powder or paint out of threads they do a pretty good job of fixing buggered up threads.
I have a Craftsman 37 piece set that has been a great help for 10- 12 years now. I have broken a few of the tiny ones by forcing them a bit to hard. Get a better tap handle. The one that comes in this set is a die looking thing with a bunch of holes the taps fit into, This is why I broke the bits I did. The taps are not centered in the handle. This off center force flexes the tap.
A handle that has the adjustable jaws is better.
Also any where you need a ground, like all the engine to frame mounts you should grind off the powder where the two pieces of metal touch. The powder is a very good electrical insulator.
Leo
Leo

Great advice Leo, again much appreciated! I will do that this weekend!

Hi George,
Yamaha tends to use the less common fine thread series. There's nothing quite as effective at wrecking a thread as cleaning it up with the right diameter wrong pitch tap or die.
Especially watch for the M10s.
Bargain metric sets sometimes only have M10 x 1.5; not the M10 x 1.25 you'll need.

Hi George,
Yamaha tends to use the less common fine thread series. There's nothing quite as effective at wrecking a thread as cleaning it up with the right diameter wrong pitch tap or die.
Especially watch for the M10s.
Bargain metric sets sometimes only have M10 x 1.5; not the M10 x 1.25 you'll need.

Great insight Fred, I will look for that. MUCH appreciated.

Back