A ripp'n hardtail bobber build from a seized, desert rat: CALLING ALL DESTROYERS

PSA:

oh my where has the time gone???? my apologies for being silent...ive been caught up with life, dropping the ball on updating this thread. ive continued to build CALLING ALL DESTROYERS and will post my experiences.... imagine if you will, that we are fast forwarding....

so where was i? ah yes.....

the transmission was cleaned out and reassembled using the 5th gear over drive.
i basically followed hugh's transmission rebuilding steps found here: http://www.bikermetric.com/2011/12/techtips-xs650-transmission-assembly-by.html

im building a kick starter engine only (fingers crossed it will be 1 kicker) so i removed any and all gears that had to do with the starter.

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

*side note: if youve had your cases soda blasted make sure to clean out those threads. only after chasing the threads did i realize that the holes were supposed to be deeper than i thought. reason being they were filled with particles from having the cases cleaned. easy remedy: air...
IMG_3479.jpg

the cases are back together with a 5th gear overdrive, rephased crank, new seals and cam chain but omitting the starter gears. of course using plenty of lube as i move a long:
IMG_3321.jpg

anodizing:

i had a lot of the parts of the engine soda blasted to the original state. the head and side covers will be powdered in flat black similar to the brough superior engine ive mentioned. i was hoping to have many parts gold plated but the cost is way too much! so i decided to go with anodizing instead. after my first trip to the anodizer i learned that only aluminum can be anodized, which makes perfect sense...sense i didnt have upon arriving at the anodizer. as a result i left only the aluminum pieces behind.

the hubs are cast aluminum and my anodizer had the feeling they wouldnt turn out like i wanted. we agreed to proceed as the risk wasnt nearly as great as the payoff
a few days later that is what i received:

misc parts:
IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_4020.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

im really happy with the gold. it looks way better than powder coated gold. the hubs are really cool but not the look i am going for. they look almost like a vintage steam punk brass. i spoke to my painter and he will paint the hubs gold and clearing coating the #$%^&* out of them, so that they will match the other anodized parts.

not ideal but will look the best...a lesson well learned!

Last edited:
my side covers had the dreaded yamaha embedded into the casings. i welded them up and sanded them down to clean the welds. doing this revealed some pits in the welding which is natural to the method.

the pits can be seen here:
IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

i came across this thread that mentions the use high temp jb weld to fill in the pits. ( http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1779&highlight=weld+side+case ) i didnt believe it but thought i would give it a go. after a few thing coats and some sanding, i dropped the side covers off along with the triple trees and heads to get powdered.

daaaaaang do they look sweet! the jb weld worked perfectly!!!! pictures of side covers to come.....

parts came in from powder coating!
i did flat black for mostly everything but had the triple trees along with the forks done in gloss black.

IMG_4017.jpg

here are the top triple trees with the solid aluminum bushings offered by hugh... anodized in gold of course!
IMG_4023.jpg

the engine was originally seized when i purchased it, which made removing the head a bit of a pain. the piston heads were in pretty bad shape so i decided to replace them.

the rings practically crumbled as i removed the head:
IMG_3323.jpg

new vs old pin:
IMG_3324.jpg

theres an arrow on the piston head which should point to the front of the motor when installed:
IMG_3325.jpg

heres the order of the rings for the piston head:
IMG_3326.jpg

the gaps of the rings should be offest from one another with the indentations face up:
IMG_3329.jpg

manhood: so when i bought the rings, i only purchased two sets. as i began placing the rings on the piston heads i was asked if i bought more than two sets. just as the words "why would i buy more than two sets" left my mouth, i broke one of the rings. i was then that i was informed to always buy more sets of rings than i need in case a ring breaks. i was also informed that in breaking one of the rings and not having a spare to replace it transitioned me into manhood. funny: my friend is rebuilding the top end on his honda cb 550 and i told him to buy more rings than he needed..... its a lesson i will never forget. my dad was right....

photo27.jpg

to tank or not to tank:

here are a couple options for tanks:

stock tank:
photo5-3.jpg

wassell banana:
banana1.jpg

banana12.jpg

not sure but cool:
IMG_3632.jpg

honda cb 400 tank:
IMG_3619.jpg

hd:
IMG_3604.jpg

such an awesome tank but not sure if its correct for this build:
IMG_3728.jpg

i also like triumph tanks and some motobecanes. CALLING ALL DESTROYERS is a cross between a board tracker and a bobber. it will have 21" rims front and back and a balance of slim lines giving a feel that the bike is moving forward but with a bite and without being a douche about it....

for now i ended up going with the wassell banana tank
the frame will need some moding seen in this photo here:
IMG_3698.jpg

before i placed the rings on the pistons i mocked up the rings in the cylinder head, making sure things were in spec.
after a good honing things looked great:

photo13.jpg

the seals on the cylinder head were no good and were swapped out for new ones:
photo15.jpg

photo12.jpg

a new gasket, seals, and fresh powder coat, the cam chain out of the way, the case was ready to receive the head:
photo11.jpg

top-end:
my valves were fairly corroded so rather than put the time into cleaning them up i decided to go with a higher performing valve, spring and rocker set. im not sure if "higher performing" is anything more than a ploy to sell parts. whatever it may mean, my top end go replaced.

NOTE: before i get into things let me just say that a spring compressor is probably the best tool to invest in. so buy this:
photo28.jpg

my first go at this job was on the cheap and a spring ended up getting launched of my other newly paint cafe racer, scratching it. bummed i decided that from now on i would invest in the proper tools first time around and no longer mickey mouse my way through these builds!

with the valves in its now time for the springs.
spring spacer missing and now added:
photo30.jpg
photo29.jpg

springs apart:
IMG_3330.jpg

spring installation:
photo25.jpg

photo24.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo22.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo19.jpg

photo17.jpg

photo16.jpg

valves and springs are now all together and ready to mate with the rest of the engine. once in place the cam can go one and the master link for the cam chain linked. before doing so cylinder #1 which is the cylinder on charging side should be at tdc and the mark that my finger is point to should be in line with the cylinders if placed correctly at tdc:
IMG_3473.jpg

heres a shot of the motor thus far:
IMG_3474.jpg

at this point time was taken to look things over just to make sure all was good. and during this time it was discovered that there was a major issue with the transmission................

Back