A ripp'n hardtail bobber build from a seized, desert rat: CALLING ALL DESTROYERS

Love it when people take the time to do such a descriptive build thread. Great read. Thanks.

I'm in CA too. Instead of trucking the bike to the CHP and the DMV I called a title service. Guy came to me and looked at the bike, made sure numbers matched, then gave me a form to take to the DMV. Walked out of there with my plates. My bike would never have passed inspection at the DMV (no turn signals, no brake light, no speedo... etc.)

Cost me $50.

Can you PM me his info?

RpNSht, you did all this to a bike with no title. What a waste. No title = parts bike.
Don't buy one where the seller say's "It's easy to get a title" If it was easy then the seller would have done it.
Leo

Its not that difficult, I have titled a '80s audi and a '80 xs650 with no bill of sale or title. As long as the vin isn't reported stolen and you get the vehicle inspected its an easy process. Better if its not in the dmv system at all then theres no back fees, you can check on their website.

so i spent better part of this morning with the chp (grrrrr) trying to get some info on a title. turns out my frame and motor havent been reported stolen.

the plan is to go ahead with the rebuild and then will need to bring into dmv. files papers and pay for charges (no back fees as bike is out of the system). they will check to see if it is street legal. once i have everything settled with the dmv i need to take back to chp for vin verification.

i will continue to search out some sort of automotive title service similar to poofish but as of yet of have been unsuccessful finding a company that will help....

all in all if feel good about the title situation, its just going to be more work than i hoped for.
ugh i want thing bike on the road already!

top-end:
my valves were fairly corroded so rather than put the time into cleaning them up i decided to go with a higher performing valve, spring and rocker set. im not sure if "higher performing" is anything more than a ploy to sell parts. whatever it may mean, my top end go replaced.

NOTE: before i get into things let me just say that a spring compressor is probably the best tool to invest in. so buy this:
photo28.jpg

my first go at this job was on the cheap and a spring ended up getting launched of my other newly paint cafe racer, scratching it. bummed i decided that from now on i would invest in the proper tools first time around and no longer mickey mouse my way through these builds!

maybe i couldve gone with this my first time around on the springs and not scratched my cafe:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15901&postcount=46

Can you post of list of what hardware you bought there? I'm trying to keep of list of all the hardware I'm going to need when I place my order from boltdepot.com

the dude that handed me the bolts decided to give my bolts different than on my list. i will have to go tomorrow morning to get the correct bolts and then ill double check!

im highly annoyed with my bolt guy.
it doesnt seem like here cares much to do his job properly. its a shame because i have plans to give him a lot more business in the future but now im thinking differently. i has some bolts replaced due to a few of his mistakes only to run into some other mistakes. grrr

anyways
i started placing some of the engine mount bolts and realized that for the rear upper mount (very vague i know), i had to remove the stator side engine cover:

IMG_4078.jpg

the engine casing has a grove meant for the built in washer of the mount to fit in:
IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

mounts in place
IMG_4084.jpg

* i saw a photo last night of bike that seemed to tell me that i had placed this mount upside down
upon further inspection it looks like i will have to remove the side cover again and flip these mounts around...

Last edited:
removing the side cover i thought id share my beautiful new front sprocket
i decided to go with a 17 tooth in front and will probably go with a 32 in rear.
seems like this is getting the best all around results
IMG_4081.jpg

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14324

i wonder how the 17/32 setup will be wth 21" rims (tire size unknown as of now) in front and back

Last edited:
during my last visit with my bolt guy i realized that i needed to call and audible on the 3 long engine bolts that mount the motor to the frame. rather than replacing these with stainless steel socket cap screws, ive decided to keep the originals and have them powdered to match the frame. this way they will disappear. i dont want the bike to be about the bolts.

nothing a wire wheel cant fix!
IMG_4099.jpg

ive gone ahead and replaced my riser bushings with hugh's
http://hughshandbuilt.com/products-services/products-xs650-solid-riser-bushings/

(ive had them anodized in gold as mentioned in earlier parts of this thread)

ive also decided to go with the matte black slimline handle bar risers from low bro customs:
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=28

the holes in the solid bushings are meant for a 12mm bolt:
IMG_4105.jpg

the risers call for a 13mm or 1/2 inch bolt:
IMG_4103.jpg

nothing a little reaming couldnt fix (sorry hugh)...

once the holes were opened up the bolts fit perfectly.
IMG_4108.jpg

however my bolt guy made another mistake giving me the wrong bolts yet again. notice how with the risers, bushing and triple tree in place, a small gap exists, the bolts are too long:
IMG_4106.jpg

nothing a cut off wheel cant fix:
IMG_4110.jpg

im planning on using a wassell banana tank. my first pass at fitting the tank on the frame showed that i need to make some cuts and maybe even opening up the tank a bit (which i would like to avoid):

a lot of this needs to go:
IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

after my first pass of cutting, things still dont fit but looks like i wont need to modify the tank at all which makes me very happy:
IMG_4115.jpg

it also is being revealed that CALLING ALL DESTROYERS is going to be a very think bike. between the wassell tank and the dual thin 21" tires its going to make ripping and splitting lanes in so cal very easy. i think i may even need to trim the handlebars a bit just so the fit the overall look of the bike!
IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

...overall yesterday was a good day of building, got a lot of things done and getting a better sense of this bike overall. even got my friend jimmy the captain's bike back on the road. he broke 3 header bolts during a canyon ride....extracting bolts isnt fun at all!

Last edited:
Im not sure if you have already thought about this, but having cap screws toward the lower part of the frame is a PITA. Im doing the same thing replacing most of the bolts with cap screws and because they fill up with mud, grim, and dirt I decided to leave the hex heads on the lower parts of the frame/engine. Dont forget about the anti-seize with the SS either.

Im not sure if you have already thought about this, but having cap screws toward the lower part of the frame is a PITA. Im doing the same thing replacing most of the bolts with cap screws and because they fill up with mud, grim, and dirt I decided to leave the hex heads on the lower parts of the frame/engine. Dont forget about the anti-seize with the SS either.

not much mud out here on the streets of LA but yes i hear you about the grime. i dont plan on having to remove these bolts all the much and if i do id rather have them match vs ptential ease. i dont mind the trouble but i do mind being aesthetically consistent.

anti seize always when it comes to stainless and alum!!!

This is a great thread! Love all the pics... I might have to reference this thread if I ever have to do my first motor rebuild!

Great job, and thanks for sharing your build with us! :)

TC

Back