ADDING STARTER need help ID SOLENOID WIRING

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
With reluctance I want to see if the starter is still alive (bad knee). I want it as a back up, and will kick as long as knee holds out.

My bike is a custom, with no stock items, but I have a box of bits from my bobber project bike. Ah! I found a solenoid. Just like the photo there are two wires and two bolts and nuts.

I know I have (a) one wire in from starter button/switch; (b) one wire out to ground (doubling up as a tag to the neutral switch and neutral light before that taps into the fuse box; (c) a wire out to the starter; and (d) a wire in from the battery.

QUESTIONS

1. what are the two wires in the photo?

2. on my solenoid a big chunky red cable is attached to one of the bolts and nuts, to what does that attach?

3. I have a big chunky black cable - to what does that attach?

Anlaf

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 91
blue white goes to starter button then wire from the button to frame ground.
Red white goes to switched hot. After the "kill switch" (hot wire at coil) is nice you won't be cranking it over with the ignition off...
Big red wire goes to battery
The big black wire is probably the starter wire, it goes to the other big bolt on the solenoid, Done.

Check your battery ground strap also, it needs to carry as much current as the the "big red cable". Kick only bikes sometimes have a wimpy ground strap.

Back