adjust Cam Chain which direction?

MB Canada

flying the chair
Reaction score
I have a 78 std XS650 that I rebuilt last winter. The motor was seized ugly so decided to go all the way, 750 kit, cam, carbs from MMM, had the heads done with SS valves and put in the overdrive 5th gear along with a pamco ignition.

I love my ride but have to admit that i must have missed the timing marks during assembly. Triple checked that too only makes it harder to admit *grin*. Anyway, i posted earlier in the year because i was having trouble getting the timing right. it remains too far advanced. I am going to take it out this weekend and re-install the timing chain.

I sure don't want another error, so i thought i should best check out this forum as you folks were so helpful before. I can only retard the timing to about 1/4 inch to where it should be and when timed at 4000 rpm it's way too advanced. I won't take it past 5 grand.

Should i move the cam chain one tooth or two?? I also want to confirm the direction i move the chain. I should move the chain one or two teeth towards exhaust ports? towards the front of the bike? That would turn the cam clockwise if viewed from left (shifter) side of the bike?

Thanks for reading this.:banghead:

On the advancer side of your camshaft the locating pin hole (may have to take the advancer off) should be at either the 12:00 or 6:00 position if the mark on your stator is at the T mark...

pretty simple...if those don't line up ya fucked up. youll know which way to move it when you check those marks....or see the mark on the cam. if it runs i guarantee your only one tooth off.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/CamTiming2.html

MB did you replace the cam chain? If not, it maybe the problem. The timing plate can't move far enough to correct it.
Is the low end timing correct and when you rev the motor the timing runs past the advanced mark? If this is the case it could be the advance weights are worn and need to be adjusted. Retiregentleman or Grizld1 both have posted the "fix" of flattening the little tab in the notches. Further searching will get you the threads.

i suppose i never mentioned that either. Mine was over advancing by about 1/8" so i put a very small smear of jb weld on both weight to keep them from coming in all the way. But a new advancer is what its getting over winter. but it rode great all summer minus some early jetting.

Thanks CDNTX I'm pretty sure the "Locating Pin hole" is not at 12 or 6 at TDC mark. I will use that to adjust can chain. Yes WEEKENDRIDER, new cam chain adjusted as per XS-John's thread. I also did the "fix" on advance weights. I think all is well... i just cant get it to retard enough to time and it advance's properly... just too far advanced.

Thanks again, i'll let you know exactly when i look ant it this weekend. I should have noted the locating pin hole with regards to the tdc mark... would have saved some time.

Cheers!

Your repair manual tells how to line up the timing marks. TDC at the crank, notch up, dot level with sealing surface.
Read the manual.
Leo

Back