Wanted - adv springs

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
any one out there have any good yamaha adv springs I think the one's i have are from mikes xs and are too weak and advance too fast. :(

The standard remedy is to cut one loop off of one spring. I have done this many times with excellent results. I believe that there are several threads about this.

This will be fun.

Two Dogs, I have a set but like Dirty said, mine too are from MikesXs, and Bunny, Dirty has already removed one loop.

So guys, how can we tell if mine are any good? Or at least better, I know they are new and that is all. I bought mine in 2006 and never used them.

Dirty Dog your only answer may be to get MikesXS as it will take longer for me to send you my set.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
If cutting one loop off of one spring doesn't work, then you cut one loop off of the other spring. If that doesn't work, then you very likely have an advance rod that needs servicing. You might even need to gently ream/burnish your bushings.
BTW, I just helped a new XS650 owner install a brand-new MikesXS complete advance unit. It actually had the opposite problem -- the springs were too tight, and I had to stretch one out a bit. You'd expect the springs in the complete unit to be the same a the individual springs that MikesXS sells, which are known to be weak, but who knows. I like the advance weights to pull back without hesitation, but not to "snap" back. The real test is if the unit advances at the correct RPM -- there is a specified acceptable range which is being discussed in a different current thread started by Dirty Dog.