Advance rod pins

Pat D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm putting my top end back together, and have run into an interesting issue. During disassembly, it appears I ended up with an extra short pin for the centrifugal advance rod. I did not take the points cam end apart. The long pin goes in the camshaft, the short pin goes into the advance rod to engage the disc. The long pin will not fit there, I tried that thinking maybe the pin broke in half somehow, but it is way too long. It will only go one way, the hole in the advance rod must be tapered, but it engages the disc just as it should(the short pin). I have no idea where the other short pin would go. Now- when I was taking the motor apart, at some point after removing the head and cyls, while rolling the engine around, a small pin fell out and hit the floor. I accounted for all the pins when I disassembled the advance(I thought), so when this extra pin appeared I was baffled but figured it would become obvious where it went. Well, it ain't obvious(to me, anyway). Did someone leave it in there during a previous teardown, or am I totally missing where it goes? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 209
All I got is to remove the points cam and see if it's pin is in there?

After that, just guess a PO lost one and you found it?

The list says there are 3 pins all the same part number hmmm I'm lost yet.
93603-07073-00 PIN, DOWEL $2.64 $2.00 Quan 3

CAMSHAFT_-_CHAIN_TENSIONER_TX650AXS650B.png

Well, since the bike ran fine before the top end teardown, and I did not take the cam end apart, I am going to assume that the pin that is supposed to be in there is, in fact, in there, leaving me with a total of 4. And the extra pin that fell out signifies that my bike has an ultra-rare, factory prepped special engine that only a few insane reclusive collectors know about, and I will sell it to one of them for $50,000. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I never saw a long pin like that, only the short ones. If you take the nut and washer off the points cam, you should be able to look in the slot and see the pin (no need to pull the cam off).

I never saw a long pin like that, only the short ones. If you take the nut and washer off the points cam, you should be able to look in the slot and see the pin (no need to pull the cam off).
Roger that, I got the advance mechanism put back together last night and the long pin is the odd one.

Back