advance rod swap

cobrasneverdie

el guapo
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Question, when would one replace the advance rod?

when converting to pamco?

any noticeable things to keep in mind when replacing one?

Honestly, I don't see the need to ever replace one unless you bugger the ends up somehow, or break the threaded ends off. Speaking of which, the MikesXS replacements are weak in this area. There have been several reports of their threaded ends breaking off. The problem seems to be that they have a pretty deep hole drilled in each end and that apparently weakens the threaded part. The originals just have dimples in the ends, not deep holes. So, if I did have to replace one for any of the mentioned reasons, I'd be inclined to find another original. I wouldn't waste my money on that poorly made repro.

awesome thanks for that information. I do remember replacing one on my stolen bike when I got the pamco kit, however I wasn't sure why I needed the replacement.

Yes, on the 1980 and later models, you wouldn't be changing the advance rod, you'd be adding it and the bushings needed to support it in the cam.

Watch out for the lengths. Here's (2) of my OEM XS1B advance shafts compared to a MikesXS shaft:

AdvanceShaft.jpg

Back