Advance unit

IronFist_650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those weights worn, or should they looks like this. Should i get new ones or are they still ok?

Attachments

• 20231224_120012.jpg
    20231224_120012.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 39
Doubtful If You look at the slot underside there appears to be a step
Center of the Picture
The Orange part wears down on the mating face
I tried to solder small parts of a hacksaw to rebuild it and experimented with the springs
Bike ran stellar / perfect -- Still miss it
But I could not get it to retard properly for low RPM Possibly because not greasing the bushing
Those parts was expensive ..Went to Boyer Bransden . Easier starting the biggest advantage

1703428144635.png

Doubtful If You look at the slot underside there appears to be a step
Center of the Picture
The Orange part wears down on the mating face
I tried to solder small parts of a hacksaw to rebuild it and experimented with the springs
Bike ran stellar / perfect -- Still miss it
But I could not get it to retard properly for low RPM Possibly because not greasing the bushing
Those parts was expensive ..Went to Boyer Bransden . Easier starting the biggest advantage

View attachment 258169
That leads me to the next question. The bike came with an old newtronics electric ignition on it. Do i still need the advance unit? Sorry, never worked on engines and don't really see what this advance unit do. Maybe someone can explain how they work

The motor runs at different rpm s
The combustion in the cylinder needs to be ignited earlier on high RPM in order to get the right effect.
Electronics and sensors takes care of that in Cars Today But this unit with springs and weights is from Steam Age
I am not sure about Newtronics but I do believe the advance unit is needed.

Depending om plans and overall status I would consider to keep it Even if it is worn
If it starts and runs
Checking the timing with a strobe light. It is most dangerous if it gets to advanced at high RPM
Can destroy a Piston

Back