Advice on a sloppy tank?

StampBear

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so while i await various pieces and parts to get this build moving forward i wanted to ask about my fuel tank.

i need to clean it, seal it, and i want to paint it (more on this at a later time)

i was putting it on the frame to get a picture and noticed that the tank felt kind of sloppy. it fit perfectly front to back no issues but when i attempted to rock it (left side up right side down - back and forth) i get a bout 1/2- 1 inch of play not side to side not from to back but rocking... is this normal?

yeah i am still very new to this so please bear with the seemingly goofy questions.

i was putting it on the frame to get a picture and noticed that the tank felt kind of sloppy. it fit perfectly front to back no issues but when i attempted to rock it (left side up right side down - back and forth) i get a bout 1/2- 1 inch of play not side to side not from to back but rocking... is this normal?

The tank is rubber mounted, so there will always be some play. You may or may not have too much. What is the condition of the locating dampers? They are parts #4 & #8 in the diagram. The front two are still available new. Make sure they have slid properly into the cups on the frame and that those cups aren't damaged.

FUEL_TANK.png

Yeah true!

Check the rubber bushings at the front for wear and where the tank bolts down. These bikes are old and the rubbers are usually getting past their best.

that is the ISSUE!!!!!!!!!! no cups on the frame.

the previous owner was making small mods and being new i totally missed this detail .. man what am i going to do now?

can these be made? do they need to be welded? can they be bolted on?

you have no idea how much i appreciate that one small statement!!! "cups on the frame"

Yeah that's a pain. They are welded on pretty good so extras might be tough to find because they are normally just ground off. I'll look though.

Glad you've found the problem!
Perhaps if you cant find any, you could fabricate some up - Some flat stock bar bent to wrap around the rubber bungs on the tank then tack welded the the gussets? Might not be the best but it would be better than none

not sure if that is possible at this time LOL.. as it is this whole project is being financed by my other hobby and swaps.. think the better half may have bit of a fit if i went off and bought such an expensive piece of equipment for one project LOL....

LOL.. good luck my man!!

well since i have the basic issue figured out for this i may search a few other questions i have and if i have no luck i will start another thread.. thank you for all your help!!

this forum rocks man!!

I looked and they are held on by 4 spot welds, should drill off pretty easy, if I get near a junk frame with a drill I'll see if they come off clean.

If you were considering a different tank now might be the time.
Some tanks used have the cups on the tank. People knock the cups off the frame and bolt the rubber discs to the frame. It could be your PO had this in mind.

thanks gggGary i look forward to seeing if oyu can grab a few!! in the mean time i am trying to get hold of a guy i used to hang out with and se if he still welds.

weekendrider - i thought of this too but i really like the stock tank (over the peanut this guy was using) so i think once i am done with paint and such i am going to stay with this one.

hmmm i wonder if i could bolt on a set of cups.. even if not stock maybe make a set out of pipe end caps .. would PVC be to weak for this application? its not a moving part...

i am unsure of using PVC its just a question i rather metal just thinking out loud as it were.

.. even if not stock maybe make a set out of pipe end caps .. would PVC be to weak for this application? its not a moving part...

i am unsure of using PVC its just a question i rather metal just thinking out loud as it were.

I don't think I'd try that. Three gallons of gasoline is over 20 pounds. The XS650 vibrates and there might be a bump or two on the road. I'm sure one of these chopper builders can help you out.

Back