Advice on Swap Out

New friends whatz-up? after dealing with H.Ds for some 40 years I decided to try a metric restoration. I have 9 bikes, 2 hidden in the barn that my wife dose not know about yet.Here is my problem. 81 xs650, restored to tracker/cafe racer. runs great or did until yesterday. went on a short ride through loggy bayou, just as I pulled into drive it sputtered then quit.finally got it restarted, just sits there and backfires have flashbacks of Nam. checked coil, pick-up coil, stator valve settings carbs. need help

New friends whatz-up? after dealing with H.Ds for some 40 years I decided to try a metric restoration. I have 9 bikes, 2 hidden in the barn that my wife dose not know about yet.Here is my problem. 81 xs650, restored to tracker/cafe racer. runs great or did until yesterday. went on a short ride through loggy bayou, just as I pulled into drive it sputtered then quit.finally got it restarted, just sits there and backfires have flashbacks of Nam. checked coil, pick-up coil, stator valve settings carbs. need help
Checked your grounds yet? Float height? Float jet clogged? Pilot jet clogged? Float stuck? Gunk in your carbs? Timing?

Hi stso479 and welcome,
you checked the "usual suspects" now check the weird stuff:-
You sure that the bike didn't just begin to run out of gas?
Was the bayou wet enough that the bike's electrics could have gotten drowned out?
And remember the XS650 owners mantra:- clean the carbs, clean the carbs, clean the carbs.

gentleman, worked all evening on backfire problem will not stay running long enough to check timing , re checked valve clearance went through carbs ohm tested alternator and pick-up coil checked all grounds. opened tci everything looked fresh checked the diodes.bike was running great then just stopped run only non ethenol gas. what next thanks for the help

Hi stso479,
here's what I'd do.
Remove the carbs.
Give both of the open inlet holes a healthy shot of ether-based starting fluid.
Push the starter button and let it crank a little while as the starter fluid/air mix gets good to burn.
If there's a brief full throttle roar as the engine fires up and the starter fluid burns away the ignition is OK and you got a fuel problem.
If there ain't you may or may not have a fuel problem but you got a spark problem for sure.

Whats going on fredintoon Will try the either trick today .I am thinking there may be a timing issue . tried to start it ,kicked till I gave out turned key off , rested, turned key back on and scoot backfired .Checked resistance at coil, pick-up coil (good) checked compression (good).

Mr. fredintoon; Tried the either trick with both carbs removed. Nothing, although the plugs were firing. Has to be something with the tci, did check the 4 diods, they checked ok. Thinking about ordering pamco ignition today. nothing else I know to try, what do you think?

Hi stso479,
me, I'd try to find another TCI and see if it fixed the problem.
Or WTF, mebbe it's Pamco time?

Brother fredintoon & new friends. Installed Pamco ignition with mechanical advance . backfiring out of both carbs & exhaust. tried to keep it running long enough to check timing. looked forward and both exhaust were glowing orange. let it cool, ruined the 2-1 Mac . took everything off and started over checked all pin alignments. New coil and wires with kit.checked spark . Still backfires constantly will not take throttle. always ride on Sunday afternoon.looks like i'll be on one of my H.D.'s sure wanted to ride the yammy. Appreciate any advice. I have run out of things to try.

Generally it's considered good form to start your own thread than hitch a ride on someone else's, that way the thread title is more about your situation.
Anyway, it sounds like low battery voltage to me. My 81 acted that way till I found a bad charging rotor, fixed that runs great now.
The stock TCI needs a good voltage to run right. The Pamco can run on lower voltages than that but the spark will be weak.
Leo

Back