Aerosol Paint Question

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I had a can of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer (which I LOVE, BTW) that was mostly empty and had been sitting for some time.

Not surprisingly, it wouldn't spray. The usual fixes (ream out the nozzle, soak it in thinner/acetone) didn't work, so I thought I'd try something read on the InnerWebz. Hey, they can't put it on the web if it doesn't work, right?

So I drilled a VERY small hole in the top to let the pressure off. That part worked much better than I feared, pressure bled off, no paint squirting all over the place.

Then I drilled a larger (about 3/16) hole to pour the paint into a container so I could brush it onto the project. I intended to spray some in a container and apply it with a brush anyway.

This is where the weirdness started. When I first tipped the can to pour it out, it actually came out under pressure. Not MUCH pressure, but enough to make a small mess. I did manage to get most of it out okay.

A minute or so later, I decided to make sure the can was empty and a bit more came out.
When it hit the paint in the container, it foamed up bigtime and overflowed the container. Exactly like pouring a Coke too fast over ice and the carbonation makes it foam over the top of the glass.

As an experiment, I stirred the container with the paint in it and again with the foam. The longer I stirred, the less it foamed until it seemed inert.

So I painted what I set out to paint, lightly capped the container (allowing for more outgassing or whatever was causing the foaming) and wandered off to do something else.

A couple of hours later, I decide to do a little more painting and the paint has separated so I cap it and shake it to remix.

HORRIBLE idea, Genius Boy. MASSIVE pressure buildup, paint all over hell's half acre and much of me.

So my question is...What the hell? Where is this pressure/foaming coming from? The only thing I can guess is residual propellant mixed in with the paint that activates with shaking/stirring.

I think you have it, what was ambient temp for this debacle? :lmao:
IIRC some paint uses propane as the propellent. putting the spray can under hot running water (hair dryer works too, can should never be allowed to get too hot to hold) for a couple minutes is one way to get the last paint out of the can and improve flow out.

Last edited:
This is pretty interesting, I’ve never heard of this sort of thing happening. As a side note, before I spray paint anything I care about, I usually run about four inches of hot water in a bucket and set the can in there for a few minutes, pull it out and shake it, back in again for a couple of minutes, just until the paint is warmed up. It mixes better when you shake it and I feel it flows better on whatever you’re spraying. At least that’s been my perception. :cool:

For serious painting, I set the can on top of the furnace boiler. Gets it up to about 75 or 80° which works very well.

What has me confused is the foaming/pressure buildup when the paint is agitated.

As a follow-up note, I had a bit more painting to do, so I retrieved the container which I had set outside to let it dry up before disposing of it. I stirred it very gently at first and then with increasing vigor and didn't get any bubbling/foaming/outgassing. I haven't worked up the courage to try capping it and shaking it again...:yikes:

It’s like LPG in a gas bottle, only about 60% liquid when full, as you burn off the gas the liquid content reduces but keeps the same pressure. Usually the propellant in squirty cream is nitrous oxide, laughing gas. I’m not sure what the propellant is in aerosol paint.

A couple of hours later, I decide to do a little more painting and the paint has separated so I cap it and shake it to remix.

HORRIBLE idea, Genius Boy. MASSIVE pressure buildup, paint all over hell's half acre and much of me.

Hey DE - don’t suppose you caught that on video did ya? ;)

...sorry, couldn’t resist.

Oddly enough, you're not the first person to mention that oversight on my part.

Well then, may I suggest that the next time you do that, you get a camera setup (outside the splash zone of course) and then post the video so that we can all share your experience. :D

Back