AFR Tuning

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
So does anybody use an AFR meter to tune their carbs.

I'd like to try this since I have a Power Commander and Autotune for my raider. The autotune isn't currently hooked up to the raider so I'm thinking I can take an 8-12" 1.5" extension pipe which will fit into the tips I have on my xs. I'll sink the wideband o2 sensor into the extension pipe and insert it into my xs's pipes. Then use my laptop and dynojets software to display the AFR and tune the carbs. I'll have to have my raider parked near by but other than that it should be pretty easy.

Now my raider is setup for 13.2AFR. Dynojet has also told me that this would provide the best balance of power to fuel economy. So I'm thinking I tune the xs carbs to 13.2 or so and I should be dang close.

Much more precise than the "butt dyno" most of us use for them! I know a few people that tune by the seat of the pants and then confirm with AFR measurements, but not on an XS.

hoping I'll get a cool day to do this soon. First I gotta replace my throttle shaft seals. :(

I'm thinking that this will making tuning a lot quicker as well.

It should, as long as you have a firm grasp of your overlaps. You DO intend to take readings under load, correct? Stationary readings don't mean shit.

I’ve been considering buying a wide band AFR gauge for a while now but am stuck on the price. It seems I can either move to a single 36 carb, get them jetted by a shop or buy the AFR gauge. It all works out to about the same price 

Please keep us posted on how this works for you. Seems it would be best if you could take some readings while riding though.

Yeah it'll only be stationary for now. If I end up ordering a guage off ebay I'll may mount it to the bike. I'm moreso trying to get close at idle, so that way, with proper jetting it should be close at speed.

AFR meters can be had on ebay for as little as $30. Most are for narrow band though. Not sure you'd even need a wide band on an xs.

gggGary thanks forth he link I think that's awesome and may give that a shot. Just need to decide if I buy one for each side or just do one side and try and match.

I've been looking at the Innovate MTX 3844 and 3845. They are the same thing but one has the short cable. Apparently the shorter cable always comes up more expensive. I was considering getting two of them, installing and getting everything tuned. And then taking them back off and storing them for my next project. I don’t think I want them on the bike full time. Innovate is supposed to be the best but then they also cost more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-38...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53faa4ff05&vxp=mtr

Back