After market Kill Switch

mhanks71

80 Chopped XS
Reaction score
So I bought this headlight Switch/Kill Switch and having some issues. The kill switch part has two wires (black & white) and I hooked it up and got nothing . It makes contact when you push the button. You would think it should break the contact (kill) but it is opposite. Is this a ground kill switch ? If so how do I hook it up ? Any help would be great. Almost done with the build.

That sucks. Oh well . Thanks for the info. Could I just wire a toggle switch between the Battery and Ignition switch ? That would turn power off just like turning the key right ?

You could, but that would kill everything. I hooked the kill switch between the ignition switch and the lead going to the coil.

yeah put an on/off toggle switch (10amp) on the + wire going to your coils. that way you can test lights and other components without overheating and ruining your coil

you should put a 10A inline fuse right before or after that switch also

You can use that switch. Hook the black wire to ground, and hook the white wire to the negative coil lead. When you push the button it will short out the coil and kill the motor.

However, like previously mentioned, it will not shut off power to the coil so if you are running points or Pamco do not leave the ignition switch on when the motor is not running. You could hook up a second switch somewhere to kill power to the ignition when testing the lights and stuff, but it would be easier to simply unplug the coil.

mhanks71;

Whatever you choose to do, remember that the "Kill" switch should be located close to your handlebar grip, so that you can quickly kill the engine in an emergency.

Thanks mrriggs. I am running a Pamco, so lets say I use this kill switch in an emergency do I have a few minutes the turn the ignition off or do I have to turn it RIGHT off so I wont mess up my Pamco ? Retired, I really want one close like you said so it would be nice to use the one I have. Thanks

You have enough time to get the bike stopped, but get it shut off as soon as possible. Keeping it on for a minute or two probably won't break it. Just don't make a habit of it.

mhanks71;

If you have to use the "Kill" switch in an emergency, then something bad is about to happen, such as the throttle stuck wide open and you are hurtling towards a car or a tree. Instant shut-off of the engine is recommended. A "Kill" switch was never meant to prevent damage to an ignition component.

Back