Aftermarket kill switch question...hmmm

dunnroadmafia

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bike is a 1978 and is equipped with hughs pma, pamco, and sparx capcitor, im planning out the wiring and am having an issue with the aftermarket kill switch i have. The stock run/off switch is normally closed when the bike is runing and and is open when the bike is off. My aftermarket switch is the exact opposite and is only closed when the kill button is depressed. So with a pamco and a pma what can i ground to kill the bike with out damaging the ignition system?

thanks
quinn

My bike is a 1978 and is equipped with hughs pma, pamco, and sparx capcitor, im planning out the wiring and am having an issue with the aftermarket kill switch i have. The stock run/off switch is normally closed when the bike is runing and and is open when the bike is off. My aftermarket switch is the exact opposite and is only closed when the kill button is depressed. So with a pamco and a pma what can i ground to kill the bike with out damaging the ignition system?

thanks
quinn

I'd say its best to buy the correct type of kill switch..............closed when the engine is running.

Im thinking theres a way to make this work, i just need to know if ill damage anything. Im wondering is one cant interrupt the green (trigger) wire on the pamco.

You can use that switch but you need to hook it up with a relay. Wire the relay so the bike runs with it in it's normal position. Run a hot wire to the relay hook the kill you have to ground the relay.
You need one of the 5 wire relays. The four wire only turn thing on. The five wire can turn things off. Run power to the ignition on terminal 30, terminal 87A out to ignition. Power to terminal 85 hook the kill switch to 86.
Now the relay in it's normal state allows power to pass through and lets the ignition work. push the Kill switch, power flows through the relay windings opening the ignition circuit, stopping the ignition.
This should work.
Easier and cleaner to get the right kill switch.
Leo

Back