Aftermarket mufflers too big...

ejdirin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of 2-into-1 aftermarkets pipes from mikesxs. I removed the 2-into-1 piece and now have a 2-into-2 on the right side of the bike. I bought some simple aftermarket slash cut mufflers to bolt on, except they're a little off size. The OD of the pipes is 1-1/2" and the ID on the mufflers is about 1-5/8". I bought a reducer from mikesxs, except its 1-3/4" OD so it won't work.

Does anybody have any homemade tricks that'll solve this 1/8" difference between the pipes? I think mikesxs has another reducer, but I'd like to avoid having to order it if I can. Is there any kind of gasket material or pipe wrap that I can put around the headpipes so I have a snug fit? Thanks in advance!

If you have any 16 ga sheet metal laying around you could always cut a 1" wide section of it that is just under 4 and 3/4 inches long (4.732" would be a perfect fit, but 4.7 would leave a little slit to allow for clamping force to tighten the joint). Bend it around the pipe, maybe using a little heat and hammer work, tacking it as you go. Grind the tacks flush and you should have a 1 and 5/8 inch OD on the pipe that used to be 1 and 1/2 inch OD. That's what I would do anyway.

BTW, if you still have the 2 into 1 Y piece, how much would you want for it?

That's an interesting idea. I have the XSMikes 2 to 1 set up and never thought about dual mufflers. Please post pic of your set up. Most muffler shops can stretch or compress a pipe to meet your needs for a few bucks have done it many times in the past. Fast easy and professional.

Yeah. I like the look of it. I'm going to call a muffler shop today to see if they have reducers or can modify what I have. Once I get them on, I'll attach a pic.

Took the pipes to a muffler shop today. They warned me that dilating the end of the pipes could split them, but most of the guys in the shop thought it would be fine. The dilated them 1/8" slowly and some of the chrome flaked off, but no splits. The mufflers pressed on perfectly with some WD40. When I asked them how much I owed them, they said, "Don't worry about it, just send your friends." So if anybody needs any exhaust work in Buffalo, NY, I went to Mufflerman on Delaware ave...

I asked them about just making a spacer and they said that's an option but a) it won't look as good, and b) it'll probably rust eventually.

I'll get some pics up....it was too dark for any decent pics last night.

[offtopic]Gentleman Jim - care to post your avatar a bit bigger so we could see it? [/offtopic]

ejdirin - great work on the free pipework there! Bet it saved a headache or two :thumbsup:

I had a similar problem with aftermarket mufflers. My head pipes were a little over 1 1/2" and the mufflers were 1 3/4". Those split bushings they give you with the mufflers are junk so I bought a 1ft piece of aluminum tubing at a place called Speedy Metals for $4. The tubing was 1 3/4"OD and 1 1/2"ID. I cut 2 4" spacers and took about .055 out of the inside on a lathe. They fit great and everything bolted up nice and tight.

As promised, here's some pics of the pipes. I like them because they're nice and simple. Too bad the combo of those and pod filters means I either have to rejet the carbs or get 2 gallons to the mile.....

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 156
Here's the rest of the bike if anybody was interested. The mufflers were a little offset in that pic....

Attachments

• chop.jpg
    chop.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 136
They sound pretty good. They have small removable baffles in each muffler. I think I'm going to leave them in for now.

I ran the bike for a while last night with a homemade gas tank (gatorade bottle, a tube and an inline fuel filter). I could literally see the gas being consumed at a very rapid rate. I'll probably post my problem in another thread, but do any of you guys have some suggestions? I also replaced the air filters with pod filters. I'm sure it has something to do with rejetting the carbs, but that's completely foreign territory to me...

Back