Air box, I want OE for my 83

erice1984

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an OE airbox for my 83 650 special.

I was trying to figure out if there was a difference between the years or better yet.. What years are interchangable with the 83.

Thanks
-Eric

I think '80 and up would be the same as '83. I would look at the fiche at babbittsonline.com just to make sure. Should be able to get them for nearly nothing on ebay.

81 to 83 any model are the same. The boxes are everywhere I have several complete sets. The filters are bit harder to find but putting foam covers on the stock filter frame is fairly easy. K&N makes a filter to fit the stock box at about $100 the pair which is not much different than their pods.
I think the stock air boxes are the best way to go. The importance of proper intake design is very under rated IMHO.

yeah, the bike performs like crap and I just want to be able to ride it around trouble free...

Thats what I was thinking about the intake designs because of the emissions crap the had in the 80's.

There's a special bracket on each side in front of the battery that helps hold them on. You'll probably need to get those too.

It's probably not the air filter. I just overhauled the carbs on an 81 that had been sitting since 1997 and it fired up immediately and zipped up and down the road with no air filters at all, just fine. And also was fine with some rather large pods I stuck on it before it went to it's new owner. (Stone stock exhaust and jets) I did raise the taper jets with some washers which I always do when I open BS34s, others claim it's not needed.

Its running lean, I take the plugs out and its lean. I read from the factory the 80's 650s were jetted lean because of emissions. With the addition of a fre flowing air filter it created an even leaner condition. I am not looking to make this a performer. I just want to ride it because it is comfortable, I like the sound and its good on gas.

Have you been in the carbs yet? You have to, you know, on virtually every bike of this age, carb work is part of ownership. The good news is it's not real hard and the carb guide here really helps to do it.v That 81 I just described has the same carbs / jetting as yours, my 83 Heritage Special does too. The "emissions" on these bikes is not god awful and what there is can be fairly easily worked around to get an excellent running engine. Have you synched the carbs yet?

I have not had the carbs synched or tried to yet.

I know I need to work on the carbs.

I had them apart and replaced the needle and seat in both, cleaned them out. I put seafoam in the gas yesterday to see if it cleans some other stuff out I didn't know about.

I just looked at the service manual for carbs and noticed you can adjust the floats for rich/lean condition. Maybe I don't have enough fuel in the bowl?

Go to the tech section download and print the guide for the BS34's.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43
You made a good start but you will have to do the carbs again. Follow my long hard learned advice. You CANNOT shortcut ANY part of the overhaul there is a gotcha on anything left undone. do it all do it right and you are going to LOVE your XS650! I do the full monte on carb overhauls now and the bike starts and runs well every time (well you know) with a little time for cleaning and polishing I figure 4 or 5 hours on the bench. That is with all the special little tools and supplies there ready and waiting. My best advice is do it with proper attitude. I am going to do a good job and have patience when i get frustrated I quit and come back later. if something seems hard or wrong ASK there is great help available right here. Two or three days apart or even a week if that's what it takes, done now will give you an enjoyable summer of up to 60 MPG. Once done the carbs tend to stay working for a long time, if your WHOLE fuel system is clean and functioning. IE tank, lines, petcock. Dumping $100 and a few days into the bike will pay off for you. My 83 is on it's third year of go out, crank it over, and ride it each spring.

I am looking for an OE airbox for my 83 650 special.

I was trying to figure out if there was a difference between the years or better yet.. What years are interchangable with the 83.

Thanks
-Eric

If you're still looking for the airboxes you can see my listing in the classfieds: here

I figured out my problem. The mix screws was at 1.5 turns. No idea which previous owner did that but I put it at 3.5 turns (OE 3-3.5). It has a 135 jet (OE 132.5) in it as well from someone else. Rode around last night in ~35 degree temps, no problems!

Back