Air filter rubber part identify ?

davetherave

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone please tell me what this rubber piece is called. I fits into a 47mm hole in the filter and connects to a 60mm OD hose.

I need one of these but don't know what they are called to search.

kind regards,
Dave.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 71
  • boot2.jpg
    boot2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 83
Hi Dave,
that looks like some sort of plumber's fitting?
Nothing wrong with that but the list consensus is that the tapered pleated air filters in your photo don't work too well on XS650s and that cylindrical foam filters such as UNI pods are better.

I need to get some new filters but there is not much space behind the carbs.
They need to bend out at about 45 degrees. It seems quite difficult to find ones with an elbow already fitted! I got some from china (see pic) but ordered the wrong size :doh: and they don't seem to make them with a big enough fitting. An old one on the bike has some 60mm od pipe with an id of 52mm glued into that rubber adapter boot thing, a makeshift mess of an elbow which slips over the carb.
I guess some short uni pods might just squish in without needing the elbow?

Attachments

• red filter.jpg
    red filter.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 43
  • drawing1.jpg
    drawing1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 49
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 64
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
- - - I guess some short uni pods might just squish in without needing the elbow?

Hi dave,
FWIW the 3" diameter x 4" long UNIpods I fitted on my Heritage Special after I removed the stock air boxes (which worked OK but I resented the effort of removing them to service the carbs) plug straight on the carbs and butt up against the battery carrier. The stock side panels hide them, too.

On the Uni Filter web site they have angled filters. Might take a look, won't hurt.
Leo

You might find something similar from a more local manufacturer.
You might even find a Uni Filter dealer over there.
Leo

Back