Akront Rims questions

Red Dirt Bobber

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I really like the look and idea of the old Akront MX rims. I picked up a couple with the WM profile. An 18" Akront WM3 for the rear and a 21" Akront WM2 for the front. I also have a 21" Akront WM1 as well that I was considering for the front, however the WM2 seems to be in better condition for cleaning up.

First question.... Both rims I am planning on using are from late 60's Bultaco MX bikes. Both are 36 spokes. The 18" has on extra hole that I assume would be for the valve stem. The 21" has two, one again I assume for the valve stem and the other had a rim lock. What are others doing for filling in the rim lock hole? I was considering an aluminum plug and tig welding it in.

Also, I am curious as to the spoke angles. Would there be much variance between a late 60's Bultaco rear hub and an 80 XS650 rear hub? What about the front hubs? They look to be fairly straight forward. I did post some pictures on my build thread that I just started. Called "my first build"

I Would like to also order some tires this week as well. What sizes will fit these rims? I'm looking for a fairly wide tire or at least comparable to whats there now for the rear and a sharp looking, easily handling narrow tire for the front. Suggestions?

Did you ever get a reply on the rear Akront spoke angles? Thanks.
RC

I really like the look and idea of the old Akront MX rims. I picked up a couple with the WM profile. An 18" Akront WM3 for the rear and a 21" Akront WM2 for the front. I also have a 21" Akront WM1 as well that I was considering for the front, however the WM2 seems to be in better condition for cleaning up.

First question.... Both rims I am planning on using are from late 60's Bultaco MX bikes. Both are 36 spokes. The 18" has on extra hole that I assume would be for the valve stem. The 21" has two, one again I assume for the valve stem and the other had a rim lock. What are others doing for filling in the rim lock hole? I was considering an aluminum plug and tig welding it in.

Also, I am curious as to the spoke angles. Would there be much variance between a late 60's Bultaco rear hub and an 80 XS650 rear hub? What about the front hubs? They look to be fairly straight forward. I did post some pictures on my build thread that I just started. Called "my first build"

I Would like to also order some tires this week as well. What sizes will fit these rims? I'm looking for a fairly wide tire or at least comparable to whats there now for the rear and a sharp looking, easily handling narrow tire for the front. Suggestions?

If the bultaco hub sizes are close to xs hubs you could prob get away without re-drilling. If the angles are too different you will have to adjust the holes with a drill. If the angles are too far off you may have to find another rim.

Back