all kinds of crap in my filters, what the @&%#

Blue, I stand corrected! I have seen brake cleaner break down the Substraight that holds them all together. Alot were K&N filter's. They specifically state that when purchased. No Safety Klean parts cleaner either. Just soap and water, blow dry, and LIGHTLY oil. The K&N cleaner kit's are around $10, and do work pretty good.Opp's, wrong filter's. My bad.

I've never seen a sump strainer that wasn't fractured. I use aluminum gutter (for your house) a cut a piece to fit, then JB weld it in place. Drain the engine oil, if you are really concerned, flush the engine with kerosene. Let that drain out, close it up, refill with 20w50 diesel oil. Start riding it, check it again in a few weeks. Odds are, it will not need a tear down for this problem.

I clean my filters in a kerosene bath, then lightly blow dry, then lightly oil and store in a plastic bag until used. The metal top and bottom on the originals is just raw steel and will surface rust if not oiled.

would Acetone work good for a cleaner as well, or is kerosene the way to go?

Acetone is a very strong agent, and will eat away the rubber of any seals it comes in contact with. For just the strainer, I guess it would be ok, but it is VERY FLAMABLE! About the only thing I use acetone for is to remove old gas tank liner material. If your not carefull, it will eat your skin, fast.

I cut patches for the sump filter out of most any can, soup, vegatable, beer, soda, what ever comes to hand.
Kerosene is a good cleaner, cheap, works and won't hurt anything.
Leo

Back