Almost screwed up!

ronstern

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just finished my restoration after 6 months, insured and registered so I took it for a test ride in my neighborhood. My helmet gets shipped later next week but I just couldn't help myself from a test ride without a helmet. After about 10 minutes I noticed the rear wheel making an unusual noise that felt like the rear brake was pulling. When I rode it back in my garage I saw that I forgot to put the locking tabs on the rear sprocket bolts and all the bolts had come loose. They were starting to rub against the rear wheel adjuster. I suppose that if I had worn a helmet I would not have heard the sound but I feel extraordinarily lucky that I found it before the cog let go.
DSC_0007_zps94a02cf9.jpg

Yes you are quite lucky. Like you said, good thing you got that figured out now.

Yeah that looks great and yes I have done the same damn thing, not wear all the gear for a quick test ride. Guess the possible consequences of a "test ride" aren't always obvious.

Did a 20 mile "test ride" the other day near the end I looked down to oil all over and realized I had missed tightening a valve cover. That rear tire could have gotten pretty loosy goosy. I saw 85 a few times on that loop.

Not only did you forget the locking tabs, but you forgot to torque the bolts. If you had torqued the bolts correctly, they would not have loosened on your first ride.

Fine looking bike:thumbsup:

Back