Alternative rear disc conversion ?

flamesnm

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
All

I have a 76 XS with a rear disc conversion performed by the PO. I thought it was something he'd thrown together, but it appears he's followed the basic layout of the factory disc setup.

A slight change to the swingarm mean the PO conversion doesn't quite fit, and I'd like to look at alternative setups for the rear brakes.

I'm just wondering if anyone has found an alternative location for the rear master cylinder on an XS with rear suspension. I've been staring at the frame for a while, and can't figure any other place it could reasonably go.

Thanks in advance. Pics would help alot :D

All

I have a 76 XS with a rear disc conversion performed by the PO. I thought it was something he'd thrown together, but it appears he's followed the basic layout of the factory disc setup.

A slight change to the swingarm mean the PO conversion doesn't quite fit, and I'd like to look at alternative setups for the rear brakes.

I'm just wondering if anyone has found an alternative location for the rear master cylinder on an XS with rear suspension. I've been staring at the frame for a while, and can't figure any other place it could reasonably go.

Thanks in advance. Pics would help alot :D

Yes they would

I think what 650 skull ment was we would like pic's of your set up to see whats wrong with it. not wasting any ones time just tring to help you out

Got any, or just killing time ?

So much time is wasted buy posters not giving enough information. Sick of answering osts and then pages of posts later the poster gives some info that makes previous help invalid

As DIRTY DOG says, and check out my album to see how i kill my time, or the ID sticky in the garage

Then don't answer. I thought I was clear enough. I asked if there was anyone who had an alternate setup for the master cylinder than standard for a disc rear brake with swingarm. I didn't ask you to troubleshoot anything. I certainly didn't think it would warrant drawing you into a response that made you ill.

I apologized as I thought misunderstood your response. Turns out I didn't.

I'll work it out.

Hi flames,
what you said was:- A slight change to the swingarm mean the PO conversion doesn't quite fit,
Thing is, apart from having different torque stay attachment points all post-72 (or mebbe '73) swingarms are the effin' same up to '80 or so when the open axle eye got swapped for a closed one and any of them will swap between disk & drum brakes no problem so long as you weld on the other attachment point.
So, did YOU change the swingarm and if so WTF did you do to it?
Or, if the dreaded PO changed something, WTF did he do to it?
Description of the "slight change" would be good. Photos of it would be better.

I was asked elsewhere so ...

The rear caliper is bone stock 2F0 . I was careful to leave as much of the conversion stock as possible . With the un-modified KZ750B LTD M1 twin 18" disc brake hub and rim the Honda disc centers in the caliper once .200" is taken off the diameter . Now one caution , the disc was "marked" CB200C but I did not take it off myself so I won't swear to it . I'm told that the KZ305 is very similar also so ya pays yer money and takes yer chances . I did turn down one side of the rear hub and I believe it was the sprocket side . I'll know more in a week or so . As the project stands the disc is centered in the caliper and the sprockets are so nearly in alignment that I may be able to let it go . I did have to futz with spacers for hours but it fits . I should say almost fits . I'll have to pull the wheel toward the drive side about .250" to put it on center line but with all else falling into place I'm far beyond complaining. I had considered the modification of the front hub to carry sprocket and disc but going without the dampener was more than I or the gearbox and transmission could tolerate .

915081204.jpg

Look I read more than I post these days and this is an ancient re-post . I'd rather help than offer opinion so I'll cast my lot with fact rather than opinion.
Life is just too damn short to spend time on a motorcycle forum discussing anything but motorcycles . I've already said too much off topic but to the OP I hope it helps if not you have a PM .

~kop

Last edited:
Hi fredintoon

The change was really slight. Brass bushings kit and grease seals from MikesXS. The grease seals are slightly oversized ( tiny amount ) and foul the brake rod that pushes the piston up into the cylinder. I can probably adjust it slightly and make it work, but the PO was either an engineering genius and really confident in his tolerances, or his brakes didn't work and he ended up in a ditch somewhere :)

I was looking at the alternate setups the hardtail boys do, and they have a bunch of options, so I was just looking to see if greater minds than mine had worked out alternate setups for a suspension/swingarm.

There's a limited build thread here:
http://www.customxs650.com/index.php/topic,1090.msg10898.html

Hi fredintoon

The change was really slight. Brass bushings kit and grease seals from MikesXS. The grease seals are slightly oversized ( tiny amount ) and foul the brake rod that pushes the piston up into the cylinder. I can probably adjust it slightly and make it work, but the PO was either an engineering genius and really confident in his tolerances, or his brakes didn't work and he ended up in a ditch somewhere :)

There's a limited build thread here:
http://www.customxs650.com/index.php/topic,1090.msg10898.html

Hi flamesnm,
the link shows an XS650 customization in progress and is signed by flamesnm.
Are there two of you or are you, like me, your own dreaded PO?
Regardless, slot some holes and move the master cylinder a tad.

Back