aluminum particles in oil filter

Rufus2010

XS650 Member
Reaction score
For the last two oil changes, I have noticed aluminum particles trapped by the secondary screen filter on the side of the engine. These particles are nonmagnetic, so I assume they're aluminum. The sump filter is one of those reinforced screen filters from MikesXS. It has minimal to no evidence of these particles. Maybe the sump filter isn't working properly, but that's a different issue.

Anyone seen these before? Where could they be coming from?

Attachments

• 20140928_185843.jpg
    20140928_185843.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Front cam guide is #1 suspect. Have any black/brown plastic in the sump recently?

Seems typical from all the threads i have read.. Check the sump filter for black plastic..

Front cam guide is #1 suspect.

X2

The PO said that the head off at about 23K to have the valves redone.

I see some black specs in the side filter pic...... I bet the guide is original. Like Raty says, check the sump also.

FWIW ....mechanics stethiscope. Start the engine and probe around the engine for noise, especially the guide mount bolts behind the oil feed pipe to the top of the head.

Mine looked similar, I know it needs a front guide, because it sounds like some one is bouncing marbles around up top lol. But not no more metal in the filter then yours..

I see some black specs in the side filter pic.....

Here is a better picture taken with the flash on.
You might be right. I saw nothing like this in the sump filter. It is a reinforced one from MikesXS. These size particles should have been caught by the sump filter shouldn't they?

Attachments

• 20140928_185803.jpg
    20140928_185803.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 119
Maybe the sump filter had at some previous time been restricted by all the shavings, the oil pump suction ruptured the screen and sucked the junk through, compromising the top end, hence the valve job. Pull the clutch cover and dissasemble/inspect the oil pump for excessive scoring and associated oil passages, might find more particles there.:shrug:

A small brush like from a gun cleaning kit, but preferably a brass brush that won't gouge the aluminum and a good flushing with an oil can (pic) should remove most of the remainder. If not pleased, a more thorough teardown/rebuild would be in order, if your that meticulous:wink2:....(cough,cough)cam chain guide...:thumbsup:

BTW if all the PO did was the head, I'd be for a more thorough teardown and total engine inspection. Either that or "run it till she 'splodes!":(

Attachments

• bore brush.jpg
    bore brush.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 103
  • oil can.jpg
    oil can.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 106
Back