Am I just too cheap to Own an XS650? Tach/Speedo dampers for $9.90?

They are a pain, It is better to cut the rubber around the trip meter knob then the Gauge and rubber slip on and off................if you need to get the Gauge case off then some long nose pliers, that have the curve on the end, can be inserted through the side of the cup to hold the shaft the knob screws into.

They are a pain, It is better to cut the rubber around the trip meter knob then the Gauge and rubber slip on and off................if you need to get the Gauge case off then some long nose pliers, that have the curve on the end, can be inserted through the side of the cup to hold the shaft the knob screws into.
Funny thing is just for kicks I tried taking the knob off my 1982 and that one screwed off nice and easy. Then I tried the 1978 several times and that one would not come off. The two gauges are 90% identical, the only real difference is the 1978 has a high beam and neutral light at the bottom where on the 1982 thy moved the neutral light over to the center lights between the two gauges.

What is the trick to screwing the knob off I tried to get the one on my 1978 off and had no luck.

Hi Ken,
the trick is that the trip meter reset knob has a LEFT hand thread so it screws on to screw off.
Mind you, if the knob hasn't been removed recently (or ever) perhaps it'll be really stuck on it's
threaded shaft and might not want to turn at all.

Back