Am I Screwed?

rowdyrandy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I riveted the new cam chain together before I installed the cam bearings....and no amount of lifting or prying has been able to get the cam high enough to slip on the second set of bearings..am I looking at having to order a new master link or does someone have the magic answer? I feel stupid. :doh:

you can get it. I installed an endless chain not too long ago. I also say its easier to install it as a complete chain first.. but taht's just me.

First get some old springs or spacers or whatever you come up with, and torque the head down a bit. - Then -
Wrap up two screwdrivers in a small towel and stick em under the cam. Pry the at them a bit. Really doesn't take TOOOO much.
Once its torqued down some just finesse tha' bastard a bit.

IMG_3307.jpg

That's how i torqued mine down. Didn't use a wrench or anything, just twisted it hand tight a bit. More and more here and there to gain those few thousandths of play. (With help of the prying of-course.)

Last edited:
With the chain on the cam, put both bearings on one side, tensioner out for max chain slack. Now use a very large Phillips screwdriver, slip the second set of bearings on the screwdriver. Slip the screwdriver into the end of the cam. Lift the cam with the screwdriver. Slide the bearings inplace.
Leo

Back