Am I too darn heavy?

heyzeus

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey, folks, I've really appreciated all the great info on this site. I have one big question:

can my 1978 XS 650 be "upgraded" to power a 230 LB rider? Or would I be better off getting a 1000 or 1100CC bike.

I love how light the 650 is, and if it can be made to perform really well, I'd like to keep it.

Thanks!

ya 230 is no prob. I ride 2up w a 30t rear sprocket ab 350lbs, no prob..

bored mine out to 680cc. no sweat. i rode my friends 650 when I was 270#. I got down the rode, but it wasnt a rocket ride.. Remember, the lighter you are, the faster it goes. Im down to 220#. Your knees will thank you.

Hi Heyzeus,
it ain't the rider's body weight that limits an XS650's maximum speed, it's the bike's modest power output.
There's only ~ 45 HP so, yes you can easily break any North American speed limit but no, cruising at 100 MPH ain't gonna happen.
Mind you, cruising 2-up with luggage at 60mph? An XS650 will do that all day.
Thing is, should you weigh 230lbs? If nature meant you to be a linebacker, fine.
But if you are a 180lb grocery addict wearing a 50lb fat suit, here's the ultimate weight loss motivation:-
Lose 2Pi inches from your waistline and you'll automatically have an extra inch of wang to deploy.

Yup, I have a stock 78. I'm pretty close to that weight (some things I just don't want to know). I can get her up to 80+ mph on the freeway. I've gotten her up to over 90 before I chickened out. I've also gone over 70 mph with a passenger.

Fred,

Is that calculation from personal experience! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hi Brian,
actually, yes.
8 months ago I weighed 248lbs and had to stop and wheeze every 20 yards I walked.
A reduced calorie intake has brought me down to 186lbs today and I can walk a fair distance.
But no, one's wang don't grow at all, it's that the smaller one's gut, the more it will show.

Hi Brian,
actually, yes.
8 months ago I weighed 248lbs and had to stop and wheeze every 20 yards I walked.
A reduced calorie intake has brought me down to 186lbs today and I can walk a fair distance.
But no, one's wang don't grow at all, it's that the smaller one's gut, the more it will show.

Good one Fred!
Yep, put yer chin to your chest and look down. If ya can't see it then it's time for a waist reduction......or an extension.......lol

Round here we call that dink do.
Yer belly sticks out more than your dink do.

Is an XS650 "enough" motorcycle?
Having ridden everything from tiddlers to a ZX14 I'll say it's a depends kind of thing. What do you want out of your ride?
Noting your location. I'd say a 650 is an ideal city bike.
Will you want to drag race other bikes? No not really.
But a reasonable sized bike is actually more fun to ride, you can use some throttle, open it up, shift through a couple of gears and back down without having an OJ moment. 1100s in an urban area are basically frustrating. You can't even exercise first gear without violating every speed limit in 30 miles of LA. There is just no place for hyper speeds in the city. A light narrow bike is great for getting around in tight urban spaces.
On the other hand at high altitudes a 650 dragging 230 pounds is gonna feel pretty anemic going up a mountain pass.

Gary who tries to keep it under 170 pounds. Not bad 40 years after high school.

A biscuit shy of 1/8 ton and my stock 79 does just fine. I respect it for what it is. I tend to think the "45 HP" estimate is just that. I have a 64 horsepower bike that weighs around 400 pounds and revs to 10K rpm that does one thing for me. I have an 800 pound bike with 69 Hp that revs to 4750 rpm does another thing for me. I have a "realistic" 39Hp bike that weighs 450 pounds and revs to maybe 6K that does yet another thing for me. My XS goes to the 2 lane back roads and I casually roll around at 45-50 mph on it, sometimes with my 130 pound son on the back, and it does every last thing I expect of it for what it is. It has never felt underpowered for what my expectations are. Will it torque wheelie in 2nd gear like my SV? No. will it spin the rear tire when I whack it open in first gear from a roll, or blow down the highway at 80 mph for hours on end like my Road Star? No, but it does not fall short of my expectations for being light, quick enough, and a joy to back road on. Now, I did not buy this bike, it is an heirloom, just as my Road Star is, and even if they were not, I'd still recognize what they were made to do and respect the limitations that each style and class of power brings.

Back in the day, customers would ask the similar question: "How much bike do I need?".

Our 'canned' response was: "For highway comfort, choose a bike that is at least twice your weight."

We didn't sell many Honda 175's, but a lot of 360's, 450's, CB-500's, CB-550's, CB-750's, Goldwings.

Was it a successful marketing ploy?

Hey, folks, I've really appreciated all the great info on this site. I have one big question:

can my 1978 XS 650 be "upgraded" to power a 230 LB rider? Or would I be better off getting a 1000 or 1100CC bike.

I love how light the 650 is, and if it can be made to perform really well, I'd like to keep it.

Thanks!
................. hi i,m not exactly skinny under feed guy but i,m nice .....i luv my xs650 when its running , it pulls like a freight train,,,, and sounds great,,,i,m in the thoes of fixing a few problems i,ve let slip due to my health,, but i will be riding it again sometime this year so weight doesn,t have anything to do with your yam not taking you regards oldbiker

Back