America's loneliest road?

Cold this time of year. Might already get Donner Passed out there and have to eat your wife. Here is a stretch of it that's appeared in movies and TV shows.
US50.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50

Not done it on an XS so far but the writers express the state of mind when traveling basin and range country. It's hard to describe the feeling those huge vistas create.

Here's a remote road, but you will get dirty.
http://idahostatejournal.com/news/s...cle_1fbfa7b2-f37c-11e1-8aeb-001a4bcf887a.html
Wouldn't recommend a hardtail, slammed, or pretty bike here.
I did it on a honda 750 dresser about 40 years ago, the atlas showed it as a "road", HAH! had to stop at a car wash to remove at least 10 pounds of mud. Spent at least 10 miles feet down churning slippery mud. It's found as a must ride on "adventure bike" sites now. LOL

There's a deep sand road that runs 12 miles along the Lake Superior South shore, east out of Grand Marais. Bud on a Concours and I on a K1220LT both with full camping gear, did it when the GPS was set to include "gravel" roads, but he's still sees red when I bring it up. Very pretty but you couldn't look up unless you stopped and you didn't dare stop in that soft sand.

Ya, you're right, screw that.
Ya, you're right, screw that.
All joking aside, I am impressed that you are thinking of rides like these which are "way out there".
I hope that you find some partners who will go there with you.
I had a KLR for 5 years and went deep, deep into the state forests of NY and PA, often not seeing anyone all day.
Then 3 years ago, I crashed and shattered a hip.
The surgeon said I've got sturdy bones, so go ahead and get back on the dirt bike.
I still occasionally hit the trails, but at age 63, I decided to not go "way out there" anymore.
Maybe I'll change my mind, we'll see.

Go for it, Queenslegs.

Last edited:
I-94 west of Fargo, speed recommendations aren't really enforced. I saw 1 police car dealing with a trailer fire from Washington, DC to Seattle, Washington. Sorry guys, I was on the Road King not the XS1. My guess average speed near to 80 mph.P1000027.JPG Anyone see movie "Cowboys & Aliens"

It's sort of like the feeling you've experienced, combined with I wonder how much longer my luck will hold out. Kind of a sweet and sour taste.

If you want to take trips that are "way out there", come to Canada. One of my favourite bike trips is the Icefield Parkway. Its in my back yard so to speak. I leave my home in Calgary and its a one day drive to Jasper, about 415 kms. The scenery is just spectacular, and you feel so small when in the mountains. Its closed in the winter for obvious reasons. Speed limit is 90 kms/hr, which is a good thing. You don't want to rush through this much beauty!
Icefield parkway 1.JPG Icefield parkway 2.JPG Icefield parkway 3.JPG Icefield parkway 5.JPG Icefield parkway 4.JPG

I read an amazing ride report, over on the Adventure Rider website, a few years ago. The guy drove his bike around the whole world. I think his thread was called "I ain't dead yet". He traveled through 100s of countries. When he came down from Alaska, he drove along the Icefield Parkway, and said it was the most spectacular place he had ever seen in the whole world!

Here's another picture I took while riding my XS650. I had just driven the road in the picture and was climbing up a steep part of the road:
Icefield Parkway 1.JPG

Just missed out traveling that on the Royal Star last summer when I found my passport was expired at the last minute.
Good luck on your trip XJWMX.

This is your fault 2M; We have a road known as roller coaster hill, looks just like that Roller Coaster Road on NS 366 by Wewoka, Ok.. A million years ago a group of us ran it hard, a local crazy hotrod guy was on the back of my Kawie H2 750 (2 stroke triple, mentioned as one of the worst handling bikes ever) We completely cleared a crest or 3 he was howling and pounding on my back to get off before we were done and absolutely refused to ride the return trip. :laughing::pimp::guns:.

Back