another bearing removal question

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im trying to remove the bearings in my wheels for powder coat and bearing replacement. Ive read the posts about moving the spacer to the side to get at the bearing. It looks like my spacer goes from side to side, outer edge of bearing to outer edge of bearing. Or is there 3 spacers in there?

Hi cruzin
there's just the one tubular spacer between the wheel bearings. It's got a steel "tire" on it's outside to keep it centred for easy assembly.
The sleeve has the same inner diameter as the bearings.
The "sideways" it has to move is better described as "off-centre".
You have to reach in with a punch and tap the sleeve off centre to get a punch onto the bearing's inner race to tap it out.

There should be one long tube spacer between your bearings. If it has a hole through its side midway down its length, a hooked rod "special tool" can be made up and used to drive one of the bearings out with the spacer .....

BearingTool.jpg

BearingTool2.jpg

If there is no hole in the side of the spacer, it will need to be slid over slightly so the bearing can be drifted out .....

This all pertains to the front wheel. The rear is easier. The left bearing, the one on the sprocket side, has a spacer inserted into its I.D. You simply drive that down into the hub with a suitably sized socket and it will force the center spacer and bearing on the other side out.

Ill look at it again in the morning but It felt rock solid in there dont think I can move it one way or the other to get at the bearing. thanks for the replies fellas. I seen your tool you made 5twins

Back