another, but different capacitor question PMA

fongbros

XS650 Ignoramus
Reaction score
Earth - more specific would be Baltimore, Maryland
How much cooling air does the capacitor need? I saw the set up where the capacitor was running inside the starter housing, but I imagine that gets pretty hot. Can the capacitor be wrapped in insulation or heatshield, or even exaust wrap to keep the heat away? I always run a battery, but I am considering going capacitor only and placing it inside the gutted starter. I'm concerned it will overheat. Any suggestions? Also, I'm thinking 20,000uf/35v
Denis

not sure, I just ordered some 10,000 25v caps based on a wiring diagram I saw here. I dont really understand what the uf means but I hope I didn't waste my money on inferior caps..

Mount it anywhere you like, so long as they are not immersed in oil, or mounted to the pipes, you should be ok...

But make sure people "hate" it first, then you know you've done it right - Fong Style to the Capacitor! :laugh:

Thanks Hugh. I appreciate the advice. I don't know about the capacitor, but I'm sure the bike will be hated. Going rat style again and I know the purists will be ready to attack.
Denis

Always have loved your style, and your enthusiasm... Keep up the killer work man!

The uf means micro farad. That's the electrical capacity of the cap. The bigger the number the more energy it can store.
Leo

the real sibol is "μF" the greek letter for M. M=micro, but the closest thing to a key board is "u". 1000000 μF= 1 Farad,

Back