Another Mike's PWK thread (new concerns)

Clarko

Yamaholic
Reaction score
Okay, I realize that this topic has been effectively beaten to the ground on this forum already. With that in mind I searched the forum extensively before finally deciding that a new thread may be in order.

My concerns regard the new PWK carbs that Mike's is offering. If you all remember at some point during '09 or '10 Mike's was selling carbs that were, essentially, re-badged Keihin carbs built to a much lesser quality standard than actual Keihin carbs. These carbs spawned quite a rave on the forum, respectively. Initial reports were that they were good carbs that required a bit of fiddling to get them right. Later it was revealed that the quality of casting and craftsmanship was, in many cases, largely below par and unanimously disappointing.

I know that quite a controversy resulted and Mike's stopped offering the PWK kits.

Fast forward to spring 2013. Mike's is once again offering the PWK kits for sale, at a slightly higher price. At a glance it would appear to be the same product, however upon closer scrutiny it becomes obvious that there has been, to some degree, a re-design of the original Keihin knock offs.

At long last I arrive at the point of this long winded thread...

Are these new carbs an improvement upon the original design or, as I suspect, an effort at dodging potential legal disputes over mis-representing a shoddy product as an authentic Keihin carb?

The biggest difference I notice is the presence of twin vacuum ports, one on each side of the carb body as opposed to the vacuum barb on the carb holder.

Has anyone used the new PWKs? Are they better? Or worse? The same? Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated.

-Clarko :thumbsup:

I think you've answered your own question....what are you thinking you are going to get from a third party (Mikes) that offers unbranded knock-offs.
Stick with the known quality brands i.e. Mikuni, Keihin, Dell'Orto & you will be in front with tunable carbs with known quality controls & quality spares also. Dont forget the wealth of tuning knowledge that goes with them.
Mikes have offered some good xs replacement parts over the years - unfortunately their own carbs has not been one of them.

Your choice......

Okay, I realize that this topic has been effectively beaten to the ground on this forum already. With that in mind I searched the forum extensively before finally deciding that a new thread may be in order.

My concerns regard the new PWK carbs that Mike's is offering. If you all remember at some point during '09 or '10 Mike's was selling carbs that were, essentially, re-badged Keihin carbs built to a much lesser quality standard than actual Keihin carbs. These carbs spawned quite a rave on the forum, respectively. Initial reports were that they were good carbs that required a bit of fiddling to get them right. Later it was revealed that the quality of casting and craftsmanship was, in many cases, largely below par and unanimously disappointing.

I know that quite a controversy resulted and Mike's stopped offering the PWK kits.

Fast forward to spring 2013. Mike's is once again offering the PWK kits for sale, at a slightly higher price. At a glance it would appear to be the same product, however upon closer scrutiny it becomes obvious that there has been, to some degree, a re-design of the original Keihin knock offs.

At long last I arrive at the point of this long winded thread...

Are these new carbs an improvement upon the original design or, as I suspect, an effort at dodging potential legal disputes over mis-representing a shoddy product as an authentic Keihin carb?

The biggest difference I notice is the presence of twin vacuum ports, one on each side of the carb body as opposed to the vacuum barb on the carb holder.

Has anyone used the new PWKs? Are they better? Or worse? The same? Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated.

get with Hughshandbuild,he's used the newer versions on a recent build and I know for a fact the owner was very pleased with the performance outcome over the Lectrons that were on it.

Machi and Valkyrie, good call on the VM34s. And DAMN anybody would be crazy to pass on that eBay deal.

I realize that if quality is a huge concern Mike's carbs are not the answer BUT when the first batch of knock off PWKs came out they received some really, really good reviews from guys that know their stuff ie: Pamco-Pete and Travis.

I'm going to wait and see if Hugh chimes in on this. In the mean time I'm definitely leaning towards the VM34s. I didn't realize they could be had for < $500.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Machi, thats a very good point and I did notice that it seems like people are trying to unload their PWKs. Of coarse none of the classified ads provide any helpful insight as to why no one wants to keep them. Can't blame them though, when you're selling something the point is to SELL it.

Valkyrie, are you talking about the eBay VM34s? That auction seriously lacked details, I'm just curious about the included throttle cable and carb holders? Let us know how everything is once its bolted up!

That being said, I'd still love to hear from someone who has actually dealt with the new Mike's PWK's. Honestly though, at this point it is more for piece of mind, and also so this thread can hopefully serve as reference material for others considering their options for a carb upgrade.

-Clarko

The carbs and cable, all looks very good. Incl. air cleaners
My new tires came today.
Will post a picture of all of it.
Will be a new thread.

Last edited:
I've read those threads. Not surprising considering the temperature has been hovering around 0 here in Syracuse.

There is everything you need to know about the carbs in there, absolutely.

I'm wondering, simply, have they corrected any quality issues on the re-designed carbs. I may just buy a set after all and find out.

Honestly, as annoying as the known issues sound, all the info needed to dial them in perfectly is here on the forum.

Honestly, as annoying as the known issues sound, all the info needed to dial them in perfectly is here on the forum.

I finally gave up on these carbs after spending over $600 and countless hours working on them. I was able to get them dialed in, they just didn't stay that way. The first time I lapped the slides it went a year before they started sticking again. The next time they lasted six months, then three months. It got to the point they wanted to be lapped every month.

My bike is my main source of transportation. These carbs just aren't made well enough for that kind of repetitive use. If you only ride your bike a few times a year then these carbs may work well for you.

I don't want to say that they are bad carbs. When they are dialed in they work quite well. They just aren't a good carb for my particular situation.

Back