Another new member

xsive

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am just young. I dont have a license yet but am studying for it now. My dad is a member here and has given me his first bike, an old ES2 Norton. Unfortunately its at home on the farm, in the shed, with his other bikes. In the meantime he has given me a 1981 XS650 Special so I can learn more about bikes. This summer we will pull the motor apart so I can see how it works. He says I have been getting in his face for so long now when he's been working on his bikes that I should be able to do it myself. I think he is joking.

I wont post much as I dont know much but dad says that if I read the posts as they come I will learn quickly as many people here know what they are doing and that there are some very creative people and projects here. Perhaps, sometimes I can ask questions. The biggest problem is going to be getting the computer to myself as dad uses it for work.

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me learn.

Hi,

Welcome! Not many offspring are given ES-2 Nortons! And an XS on which to learn---you have a special father! It was rather unusual, but my father made me work on my own bikes right from the start, and I didn't like it then, but now I'm ever so grateful! Knowing your machine means you won't be afraid of it, and you can save lots of mechanic bills by doing things yourself.

So enjoy the XS, and that "Easy-2" Norton single. (OK, I admit to a bit of jealousy. I always wanted a big Norton single, and had to be content with a 650SS and a couple of Commandos..)

Again, Welcome, and feel free to post. The guys here are pretty much a walking library of XS information and love to share it!

Welcome!!! By "dad uses it (the computer) for work", I think you meant "dad is always hogging the computer looking at XS650.com!!" :D

Anyway, If you are studying for your license, I'm going to assume that you are in your mid-to-late teens. This is generally an adult community with adult content and language, but I'm sure your father took that into consideration when getting you going on this site... And there should be nothing here that a responsible young adult can't handle. :thumbsup:

I can't tell you how ridiculously awesome it is that your dad is giving you his ES2. I don't know a lot about them so I just looked it up on Wikipedia. Looks they were produced from 1927 - 1964. What year is the one you're getting?

When I was 14, my brother and I had some money saved up for snowmobiles. My dad told us he would help us buy snowmobiles or we could all pool our money and buy a muscle car project. We chose the quick and easy route: snowmobiles. Now I wish we had said muscle car! I would have learned so much more about mechanical things that I didn't really learn until 4 or 5 years later when I got into motorcycles. Anyway... the whole point of all that was, you're lucky that you're getting into it at a young age. And lucky to have a dad like you do to help you out!
:cheers: <--- that's juice :wink2:

Welcome xsive, Man you are one lucky guy. your father must think you are responsible to have given you these bikes. Sounds like you have helped out a lot with some of the tinkering on his collection..............First off you will have to start asking questions and posting pics and if the old fella says you can't use the computer then you will just have to tell him "you gave me the bike to learn on and now you won't let me get help":wink2: If that won't work give us his handle and we will shame him off the computer :D.....And stay away from those chopper guys on this site :laugh:

Well I got home to find the computer free. Dad had to go to the office for a change. He hates that.
Hi Barb. Yes dad is pretty special. Since coming to live with him I have learnt that he is a good person. I enjoy helping him, or should I say learning from him. He isn't like the fathers of my friends and has really long hair.
Hi Travis. Dad says what I can't touch can't hurt me. My stepmum laughed. My girlfriend went red. We think the ES2 is 1929 or 1930. It belonged to his grandfathers brother. Dad said I may as well have some fun while we can still afford the petrol.
Hi 650Skull. I will be ready with my license by the end of the year so I still have time. The choppers look interesting but I ride trials with my bicycle and am thinking about moving up to motorbikes soon.

xsive, a great big welcome to you, the next generation of xs riders.If you think your dad was kiddin' about you fixin' the bike yourself, don't be naive. wwwhat he's doing is trying to teach you to be self reliant, I presume. Also, to get some side by side time with his son. In time,you will cherish those time's, of frustration, anger, & that ever so good feeling of " It work's!!!' My son is grown now, so I share my time with the neiborhood kid's, helping them keep the little 'pocket rocket's' going, and letting them use the tool's, letting them get bloody knuckle's, then showing them how the tool's should be used. They are good kid's, and if my help keeps them from throwing rock's at each other, then my mission is complete.
Hey, many, many happy hour's with dad & safe riding.:thumbsup::bike:

Back