Another newby with pics

fishandchips

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post after reading what feels like every page of this forum, got myself a 79 or 80 special And plan to go through it hopefully improving it’s looks as it’s an ugly duckling at the moment.

Just drilled the rotors below, thanks to ”Thelowlife” for the pdf’s. Shame it didn’t come with idiot proof instructions as I drilled the rear on the wrong side after spending an hour setting up. Bought another used rotor off evilbay and now all is good. Wheels and rotors off for silver powder coat tomorrow.

Cheers, Garry, Yarkshire

9897FF08-0BE5-4498-B0D2-03E7D7CEA08A.jpeg
On the wood lathe for cleaning up
67ACAF05-A741-402C-8348-4FD55944A4D1.jpeg
Ready to go
2A0EEEC0-7289-4A49-B7B6-84A60EB7B3F6.jpeg

Hi guys, my first post after reading what feels like every page of this forum, got myself a 79 or 80 special And plan to go through it hopefully improving it’s looks as it’s an ugly duckling at the moment.

Just drilled the rotors below, thanks to ”Thelowlife” for the pdf’s. Shame it didn’t come with idiot proof instructions as I drilled the rear on the wrong side after spending an hour setting up. Bought another used rotor off evilbay and now all is good. Wheels and rotors off for silver powder coat tomorrow.

Cheers, Garry, Yarkshire

View attachment 133044
On the wood lathe for cleaning up
View attachment 133045
Ready to go
View attachment 133046

Very nice work! I can’t wait to see the rest of your build. Don’t be a stranger!

Thanks guys,

After breaking so many drill bits end up investing in a set of cobalt bits. What a difference good bits make.

Thanks mailman, read a lot of your threads, I wouldn’t get too exited about my work, I am in superior company on this forum for sure. When I get the wheels back I’ll take some pics with an update on what’s been done so far. Some of my work might be a little different like height adjustable rear shocks....

Thanks guys,
After breaking so many drill bits end up investing in a set of cobalt bits. What a difference good bits make.- - -

Hi Garry and welcome,
Yeah, me too with buying cobalt after my HSS drill bit went blunt after making just one hole in my brake disk.
Low speed, high drill pressure, lotsa coolant and cobalt drill bits is about the only way to drill those tough bastards.
BTW there is no wrong way for the drill pattern so long as it's symmetrical.
brake pads neither know nor care what the hole pattern looks like.

Thanks guys you got me enthused. I’ll start a build thread soon.

Here is a pic of my Honda XL250s I have just completed. All original except the front mud guard which I can’t seem to get anywhere. The seats got a small hole but keeping it as an accepted flaw. 3000 miles from new it was stripped down many years ago and left, I had a nice pile of parts to play with.

54AD0095-E3EB-4DCD-BDF8-8B15A4642EFB.jpeg

YG drills are great. I've drilled through stainless up to 48 rockwell C scale with them. Not cheap, but they work well.

The great thing about the XS is the wide variety of builds, like others have said post plenty of pics.

Back