Another no spark pamco thread: with a twist!

Ketis

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well, I went to start up my bike last night for the second time. (had it running before tear down) now I have a Hugh's pma with capacitor. It started on the second kick and it was running good for about 30 seconds and then it died because the ground wire came loose. I reconnected the ground but it wouldn't fire again.

I unhooked the pma and hooked the pamco directly to a battery and I only get a spark when connecting or disconnecting the battery. Not when kicking the bike over. I did all the coil tests on the pamco site and the coil is ok. But I am getting no spark when kicking the motor over.

Iam at a loss here.

I have a pretty old pamco that has been on the bike for a few years (it was one of the models that had the washer sent out to hold in the magnets(didn't come with one)

Here is a pic of the pamco (there is nothing on the backside)

img20130609161718040.jpg

Ketis,

Boy, that's a shame. That is a real museum piece you have there, but I think what happened was the regulator went crazy and produced 20+ Volts and fried the veteran PAMCO.

Hmm alright. Would that been possible because the ground came off? Or because the regulator could be bad?

The ground for the cap to the frame

Well, the regulator has to have the capacitor to stabilize the output. Think of a rear suspension with a spring but no shock. The capacitor is the shock absorber in the electrical world. It absorbs the ups and downs of the voltage. Without it, the regulator is chasing the voltage and ends up with a very high voltage, like 20 Volts. This is enough to fry the electricals, including the PAMCO.

When you lost the ground to the capacitor, the capacitor was then out of the circuit so the regulator went Ape S%^&.

However, this is the first of the original PAMCO's (Feb 2008) to bite the dust and I owe you because you took a chance with a new product, so, if you are interested, I will give you a $50 credit toward a new PAMCO. Just go to the web site www.yamahaxs650.com and click on the buy now button. Leave your screen name in the comments so I will know what this is all about and I will reimburse you $50.

This is what I like to see. A man who stands behind his product.

On a side note, I wonder how many orders Pete will receive with "Ketis" in the coments section? LOL

Last edited:
thanks pete!

im a little short on cash right now at the end of this build.

I will surely take you up on that offer though.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems to be resolved. I am having a similar issue but with a newer Pamco unit. I got the bike all tuned and running good. Had it down while i was installing the pneumatic clutch. Went to start it to test the clutch and NO START!.

I hit the end of my wall after weeks of testing everything. Took it to my buddy who has a shop and he said the coil was bad. We replaced the coil, not here is the very interesting part, it will spark for about 2-3 seconds then nothing. Not sure if this is electronic ignition issue or something else. Does this sound familiar in any of your experiences?

Back