Another Pamco install question

Port

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just got a pamco with Eadvancer for my 1981 xs650HS but i have a few questions.

- it came with 3 brass bushings, which side gets 2 and which side gets 1? I looked quickly earlier but the counter bored hole looks about the same depth on both sides

- do i need to grease the rod? i have read contradicting things.

any other advice about this install or setting the timing would be greatly appreciated

Port. Use the upper/right "advanced" search, with "bushing" as the search term, and "pamcopete" as the member. Several threads there that cover the bushings...

Pamcopete needs to update his install instructions that go with the PAMCO, they need to be more comprehensive, this question gets asked all the time.

I've installed a PAMCO on my ride and I had to read countless threads before I was confident I was doing it right and to be honest, I wish I could tell you which side I put two bushings in, but I can't remember.

I did grease up my rod well and good.

I found hugh's hand built PAMCO install instructions the most helpful when I installed mine

http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/how-to-pamcopete-277-ignition-install.html

The Cam and advance rod has nothing to do with the producer of the Pamco and e-advance.

The Cam on the Factory ignition models doesnt have the internal seats cleaned up for the bushings. If they are forced they can slit the cam ends.

There are threads about this. Google search

The Cam and advance rod has nothing to do with the producer of the Pamco and e-advance.

The Cam on the Factory ignition models doesnt have the internal seats cleaned up for the bushings. If they are forced they can slit the cam ends.

There are threads about this. Google search

You couldn't be further from the truth. Those items come in the kit that sells for well over $300. That's a lot of money to be left scratching your head.

OP "It came with ....." IMO then it should have instructions for those items!

Posted via Mobile

You couldn't be further from the truth. Those items come in the kit that sells for well over $300. That's a lot of money to be left scratching your head.

Posted via Mobile

I agree completely with chizler. I brought the PAMCO kit and had to go all over the place to work out how to install it correctly, and I'm not exactly a potato either. Its not a hard install, but the instructions need to be more clear and comprehensive, I have no doubt whatsoever his customers would appreciate this.

I think this is partly why we so many PAMCO threads on this forum. People get frustrated, install it how they see fit, next minute they're left with a burnt up PAMCO, posting a thread on here asking what the fuk happened?

The installation instructions for the advance are on the web site www.yamahaxs650.com

Titled: "Installing the advance unit" The first part of these instructions includes installing the brass bushings.

http://www.yamahaxs650.com/installing_the_advance_mechanism.htm

Additional instructions for the advance rod, rotor and advancer substitute are also on the same web site:

http://www.yamahaxs650.com/Installtion of E-Advancer.htm

This could be improved by adding the instructions for the brass bushings to the E-Advancer instructions, so I'll do that.

OK. Done. Take a look at the revised installation instructions for the E-Advancer on www.yamahaxs650.com

(You may have to refresh or reload your browser.)

1. Are they easy to find?
2. Are the instructions adequate, especially for the bushings?
3. What can I do to improve the instructions?

OP, The 2 brass bushings go in the Right hand side of the cam and the single goes in the Left hand side. The reason being that the Right hand side has the locating pin for the aluminum cap that replaced the old ATU and the bushing helps to support this pin. There is no pin in the cam itself on the left side so a single bushing is adequate.

Posted via Mobile

The kit is not produced by Pamco only the ignition is produced by Pamco. Mikesxs.net is the one who assembles and sells the kits. Even though this is the case Pete has put the time and effort into making the instructions available for a product he has direct influence on since the company that actually assembles the kit and makes the money from that kit is either unable or unwilling to do so.

I just went and looked it up on the website. I doubt most customers are, understandably, aware they're purchasing a kit assembled by XSperformance.
Only indication is ( Brand) but yet its listed under PAMCO ignition section.
Either way bought as a kit or not. Certainly permission to assemble as a kit was given. In order for the customer to have a successful transaction. They need to install it, don't they? As we all know dealers don't touch these bikes in most all cases.

There is a clear deficiency somewhere. The responsibility shouldn't be on the customer to "go all over the place" to find comprehensive instructions.

Posted via Mobile

OK. Done. Take a look at the revised installation instructions for the E-Advancer on www.yamahaxs650.com

(You may have to refresh or reload your browser.)

1. Are they easy to find?
2. Are the instructions adequate, especially for the bushings?
3. What can I do to improve the instructions?
uh... did you not see that Pete has updated the instructions? look it over and see if it's good enuf.
it isn't hard. just takes common sense, wich apparently, isn't that common.

Back