Another wiring question

SPUd

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,

Pretty sure I know the answer, but just want to clarify some stuff to do with my wiring before I start putting my new harness together.

This is for the ignition pickup that, seeing I am running a BB ignition setup, I wont need, right:

20140216_140308_zpsd7jwmwtf.jpg

Now, these are the 3 wires off of the alternator that I do need. From the diagram, I have figured out that they are:

Yellow - goes to headlight relay? Dont need?
Brown - goes back into reg/rec?
Light Blue - is for neutral switch, so goes nowhere without dash light or starter relay?

20140216_140259_zpswfahzqoj.jpg

Then this is out of the reg/rec:

Black - ground
Red - 20amp fused line to battery
Brown - is spliced for some reason, on wiring diagram it shows that it goes to indicator circuit on fuse panel. I suppose I can run all the power to fuse panel off this?

20140216_140232_zpszfrsppq6.jpg

Any help on this would be appreciated. I really don't think this is really that difficult, just getting everything planned out before I get into it is going to be the trick I think.

Cheers,

Ryan

What are you building? Stock Chopper???
If you are running Boyer you don't need the TCI pickup that can come off worth money to sell. You got the rest right so what are you doing?
If you are making up a new harness you are going to have to cut up the old to get the charging system wires out to reuse. Need some more info to be able to help you out.
Rich

Thanks Rich,

Basically, I am just going to be running a very simple, kick only chop. Only circuits I will be running will be for:

1. BB ignition
2. Headlight
3. Tail light/brake
4. Indicators
5. Coil

I was just going to run power to a 6 circuit fuse panel, then out to the various items.

It should be fine to run the + from the battery and the 20amp inline fused line right to the + input on the fuse panel, right? All the + can just run there, can't they?

Cheers for the help mate, I appreciate it.

Spud

You only need three fuses
One for BB one for Charging one for lights
That will work but you can stick more if you want

You only need three fuses
One for BB one for Charging one for lights
That will work but you can stick more if you want

Ok, so I can run all the lights (headlight, tail light and indicators) off the one 10amp fused circuit?

They will all be LED by the way, as I will only be running a very small battery. 0.8ah.

Led lights don't draw that much but if you are using led turn signals and a led flasher a little battery won't work. You will be popping fuses.
When using led lights the flasher is bigger and draws a lot. I am doing one now and it need reg battery to work correct. Led tail no problem with small battery.

Led lights don't draw that much but if you are using led turn signals and a led flasher a little battery won't work. You will be popping fuses.
When using led lights the flasher is bigger and draws a lot. I am doing one now and it need reg battery to work correct. Led tail no problem with small battery.

Try running one of these: Flasher for the flasher relay. The draw on them is tiny and they don't rely on a load resistor to modulate the flash rate.

I am going to buy one myself because the ones I have gotten have a good load on them and I have been looking to find something better.
Thanks

Hey Spud, I just thought of something else: Keep the yellow wire and use it as a trigger wire to a normal automotive relay to turn your headlight on. Since it's illegal in Canada to have a headlight switch this gives you a nice workaround for kick only starting with low load. That's how I wired mine and it works slick!

DaddyG - no problem, I have that relay in mine and it works great!

Hey Spud, I just thought of something else: Keep the yellow wire and use it as a trigger wire to a normal automotive relay to turn your headlight on. Since it's illegal in Canada to have a headlight switch this gives you a nice workaround for kick only starting with low load. That's how I wired mine and it works slick!

DaddyG - no problem, I have that relay in mine and it works great!

HEy Spanky, thats a bloody good idea!

I think that is definitely a goer.

Cheers!

Back