Another XS650 newb looking for direction...

Nubster

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all...not only an XS650 newb but a motorcycle newb. I am interested in getting a bike this summer. I have never owned a bike before so at the moment I am trying to learn as much as I can right now. I have been pouring over craigslist numerous times everyday, watching yards for that old dusty bike with the for sale sign on it, asking friends to keep an eye out...everything I can do to hopefully score that great deal on a bike that needs some TLC. Anyways...my question is...when I am looking for a bike, are there years or models that are better or worse than others? Is there a year(s) that I might want to try to find over other years? Right now it doesn't seem to matter much as in my area it seems that the XS650 stream is dried up...not much out there and what is out there seems pretty high priced. Thanks for any help.

I was in your position in summer of 2008. I figured gas was going to be above $4 from then on and I'd never had a bike so it seemed like a good excuse. My car was a gas hog. My brother located a cheap Yamaha 250 that didn't run. I had always worked on cars, so I got it running pretty easily. I passed the written test for the permit. Then I took the MSF beginners course to get my license. Having taken that course has already saved my neck many times. Would have just been on my own otherwise. A couple months later I decided the 250 was too small and I had been looking on xs650 websites to get the 250 going, because the were so similar. I mentioned to a local bike mechanic that I'd like an xs650 and he said he had one for sale! An '81 which was also a non-runner they'd picked up to fix and sell. I bought it before they fixed it. Paid his friend $5 to bring it over his truck. Got it going. The rest is history.

The '80s bikes have the most used parts available and the cheapest parts. You can also get most of the parts for '80s new from the dealer if it comes down to that. The '80s bikes have a lot of modern or more evolved features that are good to have. I would avoid a 1980 year myself because of the rear disk brake on it and how I like to be sloppy with chain oil. The '80s bikes have handlebars that are bad for your shoulders and are less that ideal for the hand brake - wrong angle of the hand. CB750 bars fit and are cheap and come in a big variety used. The '81 and up seat is uncomfortable on long rides unless your bars have you leaning forward. The 1980 seat though is a little different and will fit and is better, so I put one of those on. And bars from a CB750. Ebay is my main source for the kind of parts that don't wear out. Otherwise new parts from Mike's or the dealer.

One important thing the MSF doesn't cover at all for some reason is pulling out to the left and right from a stop. I leared that from a police video on Youtube. I also mastered low speed riding from a video on Youtube. MSF covers that, but not enough. Slip the clutch, drag the rear brake hard, and have the motor revved to go slow. I spent lots of time doing that in a parking lot, using the parking space lines as if they were cones. I think developing that fine control helps with everything else.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info...it was helpful. I should add that once I find a bike I am not keeping it stock. I plan to either hardtail it or get a whole new frame (Ardcore). So a couple of the points you made won't end up pertaining to me like the seat and handlebars since those will be switched out anyways. The other stuff was helpful though and thanks for that.

It's especially stupid to do that with your first bike before you've even found it.

Well he's got the hard tail manufacturer selected. That's part of doing it :) That's the first step to out back rusting in the weeds.

Not sure what you guys are talking about...what is so stupid about making plans for what I want to do with my bike before I get it? I did that before I bought my Jeep and lifted it...got it, did it, no problems. Also did that when I ordered a custom frame for my mountain bike, researched and decided what I wanted, got the parts THEN got the frame, put it together and it rides like a dream. So maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see what the problem is making up a wish list of how I want to setup my bike before I find one.

That's the first step to out back rusting in the weeds.
LMAO sometimes you really shine.

Nubster,
If all you are wanting is the power plant and front half I'd just keep watchin craigslist.
Sooner or later one in some degree of unfiinished will be advertised.
If you are looking to change the motor (larger displacement, different ignition or charging) why not consider a lower end off ebay then add your goodies as you go.
I'd stay shy of anything earlier than a 75. While getting the motor together be looking for your frame. In the end it may be cheaper to go custom than hassle with an untitled frame.

Since you are new to riding why not consider getting a running bike and riding for abit?
Doesn't have to be the coolest rumble on the block to get your knees in the breeze.
You might not care for it. Those hardshell bugs at 80 will leave brusies on your boobies.

I thought about that...just getting a motor and going from there. In fact, there is a guy on CL selling two motors plus frames and a bunch of parts for pretty cheap. I was just hoping to get a complete bike to do exactly what you suggested...riding some before the build. I planned to take it out and ride as I accumulated parts for the build. I'm not always the most patient person so I'd rather ride it stock and collect parts as I can and then put it all together rather that get the bike, tear it down, then start getting parts one at a time and not having a bike for months. But I am also considering the first suggestion too. Thanks for the input.

I support your enthusiasm!

I think they could have put it a little nicer. I think what they were getting at is: A lot of people see a cool bike something they wish to own, do a little research and think hey I'm pretty skillful. Then buy a basket case and becomes to much for them to handle, eventually ending up on the back burner.

Like I said I support you! Just make sure you do a lot of research. I've been an avid motocross for over 15 years. And owned a sport bike at one time.
So I took on this project. And at sometimes I'm still scratching my head on how things work and how I want my bike to look.

Good luck

Well it's nice to have your cake and eat it too. To find a bike that is will run all summer(4-5K) you will pay mucho dinnero. If you find 6-8 hunnert dollar bike to keep it running you will need lots of patience, tools, time.
There was a thread the last week or so about wrenchin time vs. riding time. You may want to read it

I'm sure you're right...but it's nice to dream right?...lol

And thanks ryno...this is something I have wanted for a long time...not neccesarily this style bike or even an XS650, but a bike of some sort. Not into the sports bikes so it's always been the "Harley" style bikes that have interested me. I have some friends that ride, mostly HD's but a couple that are into metrics as well. Even though I have never owned a bike, I have ridden a few times...I know that's nothing but it's enough that I know it's something I want...not just a passing fad. Thanks for the support...whatever I get is definitely not going to turn into a yard ornament.

Best of luck Nubster and welcome to the site.
Watch the classifieds here, something different everyday.
Something may come up in your area.

Nubster. Nothing wrong with dreaming and scemeing and planning. Before I got mine I laid down a mental image of what I wanted to start with. After I found it and got it roadworthy, I saw some of what is being done with these bikes and started dreaming and scemeing again of what direction I want to take with it now. Dream of what you want and plan how to get there. Cruise this and other XS 650 sites and see what is being done with these machine and build your dream. When you find your future ride ( and you'll find one) you WILL know it.

Back