Little end blues

Nicko

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i am new to xs650.com, I have resurrected a number of Japanese motorbikes over the years, I even had a go at a xs 650 b cafe racer, which started out as a basket case from dk motorcycles, see picture. I loved the bike so much I have always wanted to own one in standard spec, that’s where my troubles have started, mostly now sorted, however I don’t know where to go with this problem. I have searched the forum for more information, the advice seems that if 75% of the copper is left in the little end it should be ok.
the little end in question has <>75% left and with a little oil has no play when the grudgeon pin is in place and seems really smooth. My worry is the scarring and if I should rebuild the crank with a new conn rod. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome

Attachments

• IMG_5796.jpeg
    IMG_5796.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 83
  • AFA97032-1A61-43A1-8404-FD2C18AA72FD.jpeg
    AFA97032-1A61-43A1-8404-FD2C18AA72FD.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 78
  • AAAEF8DA-5D36-4826-B661-1725A74EBE6D.jpeg
    AAAEF8DA-5D36-4826-B661-1725A74EBE6D.jpeg
    539.8 KB · Views: 80
woof.
Gauling is pretty bad, caused but over RPMing??
Safe bet would be to rebuild the crank with new rods and big end bearings.
Close look at mains...prolly ok but would think about a full refreshhhh.

Many Thanks for your advice, especially to jpdevol for the additional graphics, it looks like the safe bet is to replace the rods, and get the bearings checked, I am in the north east of England, are there any uk members who can recommend a good place to get the work carried out.

Your engine is a 447. make sure you get the right con-rods and associated parts. Euro model engines, from 75, were supplied with 553 internals. They do not mix and match.........................A 447 type bike and engine was probably imported from the US
Information on differences between 447/553and 256 engines here.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

If you need a set of rings, pistons, pins and clips they can be bought from Cruzimage. Good price and good quality.
https://www.cruzinimage.net/?s=xs650

https://www.cruzinimage.net/?s=xs650+pistons

Last edited:
Hi @Nicko and welcome to the forum. I'm not quite local but I know Yarm - for us it's on the route to Whitby.

Can't recommend anybody local to you but for XS650 engine work in the UK Smedspeed must be on the list http://www.smedspeed.co.uk/

I know there are good engineers in Newcastle but have no direct experience so it might be a matter of going and asking about. Near us - I think he has his workshop in Selkirk - Colin Tweedy, who offered to build a re-phased crank for me and seems to have the expertise for that sort of work. And there's Border Engines in Berwick - they rebuilt a Triumph TR6 crank for me and did a good job. Mind you, just Googled and that's 100 miles from you.

That's a very good heads-up from @650Skull, you need to be aware of the 447 & 553 engine types when buying conrods etcetera.

For pistons & rings, I had good service from IMD https://imdpistons.com/

And for bits in general, Yambits - the search facility on the website is not very good so I do a Google search with their name as one of the search terms but they give good service and have a wide range of original and specially made parts for all Yamahas.

Looking further afield, Jerry Heiden in the Netherlands supplies parts and does engine builds.

Hope this helps, good luck, Raymond

Last edited:
Thanks again for all your help, I am going to get the rods changed and have been emailing companies for prices today. The main bearings seem fine to me, but a couple of the companies have recommended changing them as a matter of course, I assume who ever I pick to do the work will check them before replacing?
what are your thoughts should I just get them changed irrespective?

I have had another xs650 problem today, but will start another thread, hopefully I can get the same level of advice on this one.

. . . main bearings seem fine to me, but a couple of the companies have recommended changing them as a matter of course, I assume who ever I pick to do the work will check them before replacing? what are your thoughts should I just get them changed irrespective?

I have had another xs650 problem today, but will start another thread, hopefully I can get the same level of advice on this one.
My thoughts are, if you're going in there/paying somebody to go in there, change the bearings while you're at it. Not that expensive, gives peace of mind.

Saves you later thinking, why did the little ends, uhm, end up like that - over-revving, old oil, low oil level?

In regard to staring another thread, if it's the same bike I would recommend keeping the discussion all in one place. You can change the thread name but that's not necessary.

Back