Any "must do mods" when you get a stock '83 XS650?

mwp309

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Current owner has reapplied for the lost title for his bike. Soon as it shows up, I'm buying it. All stock '83, 22K miles, only been maintained, no upgrades, no modifications. What if any are the "must do modifications" when I pick this up? (Eventually this bike will be cafe'd. I've got a very nice Suzuki GS450E tank that has a squared off back end, just got to figure how to mount that as the XS frame and the Suzi tank both have U shaped receivers for the tank pucks. Also, there is a local guy, Roc City Cafe Racers who makes very nice fiberglass cafe seats. I'll be in touch with him someday, I'm sure.)
Thanks!

Make sure that your charging system is in working order and good compression on the engine.

Last edited:
Good advice on that fuse block, a couple of friends have older XS1100's and their fuse holders are for dog poop. I may be able to borrow a compression testor, what is a good range for the compression? A multi meter across the battery terminals should give me a good indication if it is charging, right?

This sounds crazy but I would want to drain the oil out of the engine and pull the stock oil screen to see what comes out. At 22k you may find plastic chunks and aluminum shavings in the drain pan. That means your timing chain is grinding through the timing guide and it will need the engine to be opened up to fix. Running or not you should not pay much for this bike. The first XS I bought had this wrong with it but I didn't find it out until I got it home.

Well, an oil change is always in order when an older bike is purchased. I'll check the fluids for debris though, thanks for the tip!
As far as what to pay for the bike, remember, these are now cult bikes, not many offered for sale at this time, supply and demand, etc.
Guess I was wondering if I must upgrade the electrical system, suspension, etc. I do know about the swingarm bushings already and will be prepared to do that.

Another early priority should be to completely disassemble and clean the front brake system, both the caliper and the master cylinder, replace piston / seals as needed, replace rubber lines with stainless steel ones, and refill with fresh brake fluid. Check brake pads for wear & replace if needed. At the rear, clean and lightly grease the brake pivot pin, the shaft that goes through the brake drum, and the tips of the cam where it bears against the brake shoes to spread them. Make absolutely sure it stops reliably before moving on to "go" stuff - it may be new to you, but it's 30 years old.

Last edited:
+1 on brake lines.....mine were originals! :yikes:

I also did the Heiden oil filter/cooler mod, air filter/pods mod, blade fuses (pain in the ass for me to do because blade fuse wires were much thicker than wire harness), new brake pads, new M/C, new brushes, new spark plugs, new battery, new sump filter....old one busted. I just ordered a new front brake caliber, I like new better than used ;)

Next on my list is new tires, new ignition, PMA, and new exhaust...the list goes on lol

I have a stock '80 Special II. :thumbsup:

Like the Heiden mod, will def look into that. Yeah. lots to look into with these older machines, but that's the fun, right? Right, it's fun, huh?

I think so. You don't usually need to do a whole lot to get the bike up and running. Then you can "ride and wrench" over the next few seasons, adding and upgrading things. You'll also feel the effects of the mods better adding them one by one as opposed to doing it all at once.

Ignition coil, I'm kind of fond of the 'Kung-Fu' coil at 650Central.com.
You'd have to fab up the wires but it's totally worth the effort.

Do all that catch-up maintenance stuff first, though. That's more important to start with.

The bike runs well, has been maintained, just needs to be brought into the 21st century. Sure, I'll be taking care of the swingarm bushings, neck bearings and be sure the brakes are in good working order. I was thinking of an electrical system upgrade and the coil seems like a good place to start, thanks!

Knowing the maintenance history is a real plus - probably not the norm for bikes as old as these. In your case, yes, the fuse block, coil, spark plug wires and boots are good "first" upgrades; make sure the brushes haven't worn too short (easily replaced if necessary), their contact surfaces on the rotor are clean (I used a soft gum eraser on mine, followed by an alcohol wipe), and all connector plugs and chassis grounds are clean; then consider LED taillight and signal bulbs to take some load off the system. Also make sure the contacts in the ignition and kill switches are clean - dirty contacts in them will decrease voltage available to the coil. Personally, I do find this kind of stuff fun, 'cuz I'm as much or more a "tinkerer" as a rider, and I learn the bike from stem to stern, with a lot of help from what I've learned from all the folks on this forum who share their knowledge and experience so generously.

Last edited:
Yes, these bikes need a thorough going through from "stem to stern", especially the wiring and connections. My buddy pulled one out of a barn several years ago and got it up and running. This season it is going to get the full wiring inspection because phantom electrical problems have started. He never went through the electrical system properly when he got it and that has come back to haunt him.

New tires. Unless you get really lucky the rubber on the bike is probably ten years old or older, the rubber will be very hard and 'gripless' compared to new stuff. That can make all the difference in an emergency. They don't have to be big bux name tires, just new.

Save yourself some hassle and headaches and just rip the whole wiring harness off and make your own from scratch. You"ll save about 10 pounds in copper wire alone:D.

Back