My first xs650-Need some advice! Tires/signals/etc.

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, just bought my first xs650 last week. This is my first bike and I am a new rider. Really enjoy the look of this 650 and I thought it would be fun to do some work on as I learn to ride it. But..I need a little advice on getting it road ready. I've looked around and done some research but without alot of knowledge on motorcycles, I need some professional help. I would appreciate anyone's two cents.

Context- This is a 77 xs650 standard and I'm looking to (eventually) give it a cafe racer look.

Advice:
It needs turn signals (im in indiana). It has no electrical equipment on it right now. The guy I bought it from put a headlight on it and I believe it also has the factory switch (on the right handlebar). I dont think this switch controls the signals though? It has no left switch (which I am to believe is where the signal switch is supposed to go).
It also has to speedometer. There is a mess of wires in the front that have been tapped together and I have not yet messed with them to examine what I believe they are for.
So the question is------Where do I buy the signal switch and how to I wire the signals??? I'm planning to use some very small led lights for the signals so they stay as hidden as possible..but How do I wire them and where do I find this switch??

Questions #2
I need a speedometer. My understanding is that all late model speedos will work. Are there other options? aftermarket ones not made by yamaha? All the ones I find on ebay are pretty beatup and NOS are like 150$ additionally- I know I need the cable to attach it to the front wheel but alot of the speedos I see also have a set of wires running from them, what are these for? to light up the speedo?

Question #3
I need new tires. Pretty sure the rims are stock. Any advice on tires? again-looking for a sweet cafe look. Looking for a nice place between look and price.

Question #4
Less important right now but still curious. I want to lower the bike (The picture of the bike on the truck shows it to be about where I would want it, the straps are pulling it down). I understand that honda rebel rear coils will lower it to about there by simply bolting them on. BUT the forks? I came across a user selling lowering kits on here. Not sure how to use them though. any advice on lowering the front end? Not a welder so an easy way would be great.

finally! Last Questions:

Bike ran good all week till the other day. Now it wont idle. Sounds funny and you have to give it gas to stay running. Guy I got it from said it was in need of larger jets in the carbs because it was backfiring a litte but would still run fine, and like I said, ran good all week. Don't know what happened. I was probably ridding it high in first gear alot- could have done something? I have a feeling the problem is in the carbs but not sure what to do. Called him for his advice and he said it might be a worn out gasket.

Again, any advice, and/or links to pages or videos, on any of these issues would be great.

Thanks!

Attachments

• unnameed.jpg
    unnameed.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 135
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 119
#1 Ebay sells used left side switches. Mike's XS sells new left side switches. The left side switch has the headlight dimmer, turn signals and horn button.
To wire up turns, run a wire from after the key switch to a flasher, one designed to use LED's, From the flasher to the turn switch, the brown/white wire. Out from the switch to the left on the chocolate wire, the right on the dark green wire. Adding indicators on the dash is a good idea. looking at a stock diagram for your year bike will show the wiring.
#2 Ebay has good used speedos, it may take awhile to show up, but they are out there. Some one on here may offer you one at a good price.
Mike's has after market speedos. Wires are for the lighting, some just so you can see it at night, others for indicator lights, high beam, turn signals, and such.
#3 Tires are a subject as volitale as oil questions. Everyone has thier preference. I have has good luck with Kenda's, Bridgestone, Pirrelli, Dunlop.
Those look like stock wheels, if so the front is a 19, the rear an 18. The sizes I have found to work well are a 100/90-19 up front, a 110/90-18 out back. A 110 fits on the front, a 120 fits on the rear.
#4 Lowering the bike is a bit counter productive on a Cafe or Tracker style bike. The lowered bike has less cornering clearance, less clearance you can't corner as tight. You lower the forks by sliding the tubes up in the trees, about 3/4 inch max. Go in small increments. The steering gets quicker as you do this, too much and it gets unstable.
This along with a 13.5 inch long shock works well to improve the handling and give the Cafe/Tracker the look.
#5 The idle circuits in the carb are partially or fully plugged. Read the carb guide.
Others will add their thoughts on what you ask.
Putting a parts wanted ad in the classified section on here might help you find the parts you are looking for.
Leo

Thanks! I looked into the switches. Plenty of them on ebay. Still unsure about the wiring just because I have a mess of them behind the headlight. Once I get all the pieces I'll see if I can figure it out.
I'll check out the carb guide and see if I can understand it.

If you're handy with electronics and have some spare time it's worth looking into rewiring the entire bike. It's pretty cheap, depending on what kind of wire you use, and there are a lot of good wiring diagrams on this site. Check in the Tech section. Especially if you're going to do a Pamco or PMA mod it's nice to get a fresh start. I'll be doing this to my cafe with textile wrapped wire, for that vintage look.

Nice bike man, I was watching that bike on e-bay for awhile, i just love the color! I debated on that bike just becuase of the color haha, grats on the purchase! XSLeo pretty much man handled your questions, but on your first question I might just rewire it if the wires were brittle and corroded to begin with but that's your call your the one looking at it. Do you really need signals?(if you catch my drift) On the topic of tires people are all over the board, a lot of guys use marathons and spitfires, depends what you want performance or longevity or commuting? Here is a good thread on tires recently (http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9827) That is the same debate with forks, they sure do look cool lowered but is it worth the sacrifice? I don't think so.

Ya. I'm going to skip on the lowering at the moment. Really i'm just trying to get her running again for now. Next step is to get everything I need for wiring signal and a speedo. It's indiana so its kinda the law, but really I just want them for my convenience and since im a new rider, anything that will enhance my ability to- not die, im for.

The wrapped wire actually sounds really awesome. I might look into rewiring the whole bike after I get everything else done- or if the wiring is already screwed up beyond use.

For tires im mostly looking for some sweet shoes that will give it a personality but also ones I can afford.

I can sum up tires by saying the best are the sport bias from any company. Most tire companies make a top line tire and lesser models. The cheapest sport bias tires will probably perform better than the more expensive low line tires from another company.

Shinko 712 has the right sizes and is quite inexpensive. They are sport touring tires. These offer the most performance for the money. motorcyclesuperstore sold me two for $84 shipped to my door. I just couldn't resist that price.

tom

lopejd01, I'm located in Columbia City if you ever need a hand. I recently went thru the jetting on mine aswell (77). I've been in the garage at an early age, mostly body work and paint, but I do have electrical and motor experience working on pit bikes/atv's and older cars and the other bikes ive owned

Lope, I think in your place I would take Schmeel upon his offer. A little help on the basics will get you a long way.
Leo

lopejd01, I'm located in Columbia City if you ever need a hand. I recently went thru the jetting on mine aswell (77). I've been in the garage at an early age, mostly body work and paint, but I do have electrical and motor experience working on pit bikes/atv's and older cars and the other bikes ive owned

Lope, I think in your place I would take Schmeel upon his offer. A little help on the basics will get you a long way.
Leo

Yeah, Thanks Schmeel for the offer (forgot there was a response to this post). Right now I've got the bike on blocks and am stripping it apart and making it my own. I'm in the garage everyday. sometimes at 3 am I'll be thinking about it and run out there and take a few bolts out/sand something down.
Thanks for the offer to help, i'll keep you in my mind if (when) I run into a problem once its back together.

Back