any one doing a survival/rat build up?

ive been workin on this one, low budget brat set up.

Attachments

• dis bike11.jpg
    dis bike11.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 103
1975Rat.jpg

I always understood that rats aren't built, they just slowly happen over time. Here's one I saw in Austin a couple of days ago, a 1975.

rat1.jpg

This is Donovan's famous Austin rat. He did build it from the ground up as a rat.

rat2.jpg

A detail of Donovan's build.
And, here is a link to Donovan's seat:
http://www.650motorcycles.com/DonovanSeat.html

BlingR.jpg

BlingCU.jpg

BlingL.jpg

A little more rat inspiration, this time it's a 1974 iron head.

heres mine i am doing,. 1975 i just picked up. i love the patina to the paint, thats what made me love it,.

havent started yet. Motor will be torn down completely to cases and rebuilt. but i am going to just wash it real well to clean the dirt and grease off of it and see what it looks like. it will get strutted, want it to be like a strutted 60's era bonneville. single bs34 that i just rebuilt for it. Get it as safe as my 74, but have it look ooold. should be kind of a fun challenge. if i hate it later on i can always clean it up more....havent decided if i want a 750 kit or not....i do have a 78 also that i may eventually 750 instead and do a non-cv carb on. I just want it reliable, and patinad, so single bs34, and pamco.

PA250163.jpg

I have this one that is slowly crawling out of the grave. Very slowly.

Attachments

• DSC_0147.jpg
    DSC_0147.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 83
Im on the ratbike.org forum all the time. Awesome people, very funny and helpfull. to rat a bike requires a bucket of cheap matte paint. Do not rat the bike, let the bike rat itself. Look at the bike pics on there as well, very neat.

Build a rat bike? Why spend time building what you can create simply by riding? Ride your bike, don't wash it. When it gets scratched up do a half-assed job of repairing the scratches... If something falls off that you don't need then don't put it back on. All my bikes eventually become rats. Real rats, not fake rats. Those are the only kind of motorcycles a man can truly love.

Then, in 20 or 30 years you can do a restoration.

I have tried to rat out but I swear a bike has never left my hands that wasn't in (at least a little) better shape than when I bought it. I guess Rat is what I START with.

Back