Any opinions on an XS Softail??

cncron

Building your dreams.....
Reaction score
Hope I'm not raising an old dead topic, but anyone have any input about building a clean, simple softail for us older riders with bad backs?

Every so often, I have guys asking me about building them a softail xs. Most of them go on to bob their rear end and add short shocks to their existing swing arm. My idea is to make a rigid look-a-like with a concealed shock running in line with the top rails, under the seat area.

Anybody interested in a set-up like this? I've stopped my current build and am ready to start on this one instead.

I remember seeing a red one on the internet years ago, used a harley frame that made the engine look tiny.

You will find that softails are the red headed stepchild of the custom bike world. Not many people do them. I am building a completely custom softail Harley with my dad and there isn't much to be seen for that sort of bike. Can't say I have seen an XS that I can remember that's been softailed.

GervaisRousseau1.jpg

Well the lines on that bike don't flow well but with the right set of bags and a seat change and longer custom tank that bike would look good my opinion. Lots of people building hardtail bikes that they sell after they build them because they don't like how they ride. Some people don't like baggers or harleys. I'm open minded allthough I have voiced my opinion that hardtail bikes are unsafe I had one and safety didn't mean a shit to me at time. I like your monoshock idea I think it would be well received. Build it and they will come.:smoke::cheers:

I think a soft tail could engineered using the stock swing arm location on the frame but I haven't seen it done yet. The hitch is you can go buy a shadow or other cruiser for a LOT less than it would take to to do the low rider/soft tail.

thats a very nice bike in your link infamous! a production run of those would sell 4sure. would have to be a wild set up to beat that! goodluck

Well you could go out and buy something else but thats not why people are building there own nothing can beat the joy and fealing of acomplisment of building your own. I considered buying another so I rented one for a day and rode it on the same roads I normaly ride spent most of day lugging around in 2nd gear. The xs makes you ride It shifting gears ect. mutch moore fun.:D

Last edited:
Well the whole point of me making a softail XS conversion isn't for cost effectiveness necessarily. We love these bikes and the look right? But if you are like me, I'd rather have a ride that looks sick AND I can ride all day without killing my back. InfamousXS posted that link to a really sweet mono shock rear end. Such a nice, clean, fluid job! I am in the shop today doing some measuring and designing. Any suggestions for what shock to use that is readily available(from an easy, inexpensive source)?

thats a very nice bike in your link infamous! a production run of those would sell 4sure. would have to be a wild set up to beat that! goodluck

I'm not a Chopper guy,to me if an XS is in good shape it should be restored or mildly modded to more of a Brit bike look.If its rough I've always thought I'd like make a Cafe racer.The red soft tail above and even more the grey one in the link have actually got me day dreaming about wanting one.Not only do they look good but the extra comfort and better handling would make them much more enjoyable.I'm willing to give up a bit of functionality for style but not to the level of the raked out hard tails that have become so popular.I think a well engineered,good looking,decently priced soft tail would attract a lot of buyers.I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them were non-chopper types who wouldn't have otherwise considered a chopper.

The mono shock soft tail I posted a link for wouldn't be too hard to design (coming from a guy who cant has no ability to fab it up though :shrug:). You can see a rounded tubing above the shock for the seat to sit on and using a similar setup as far as the bearings go for the original swingarm. Just figure out a secure way to attach the monoshock to the top of the hardtail unit and you have the same design as I linked above.

Now somebody get to work and make it so I can buy one! :D

I am working on it now actually. Hope to have a mock-up done in a couple weeks. Wishful thinking i'm sure!!!

What I need is some feedback about what people would expect as far as stretch and clearance and suspension travel. My buddy does custom shocks, so i'm going to be checking with him about a quality shock set-up that will handle the job.

If I were to build it, I would want something along the lines of the monoshock setup above. Something without much space between the engine/associated parts and the rear wheel. I have the unused space behind the engine on hardtails. As far as shocks, I am not sure if you could work them in, but many people use GSXR shocks (600-1000) and Kawasaki Ninja shocks (ZX6R and ZX10R) to upgrade the suspension on their Suzuki SV650/1000. Not sure if this would be a desirable suspension on the XS though.

Back