Any problem using VW valve adjuster's

I had a small emergency and I picked up two of these vw adjusters and they've worked fine so far. I could not get them locally using the part no. in the OP. After a few calls I was informed to ask for a part for a 1970 bug. Carquest had them. At the store, ask to look at the pictures on their screen, because they don't know what you're talking about. "Tappet", "valve adjuster", and etc. are foreign words to them.

A vw builder I talked to said he liked to use old original tappets when he could, and claimed the metallurgy isn't good on current parts. Surprise, surprise...

I don't use a holder wrench when tightening the nut either. I leave the feeler gauge in, hand tighten the nut so the feeler is just slightly loose and when I snug the nut the feeler is a smooth pull to remove, done. Seems easier than trying to hang on to a second wrench...
An offset wrench is a great on the nuts.
6229199902p

Just to throw in my two cents, the porsche elephant foot adjusters are a great mod. Easier to set right, wear better, no pitting of the valve stem, no squared off adjuster ball. Much quieter, The oil in the foot acts kinda like a hydralic lifter.
A bit more work to install, need to have rocker box off, take out rockers, mod and reinstall.
Best done while engines apart for top end work.
The adjusters the OP listed are a very easy install so are a good option for replacement while engine is together.
Leo

Back