Any problems ahead? Big tires

Hodakakid

Hodakakid
Reaction score
Hey all,

Kinda' new to the board. I'm trying to get a certain look for my tires and wheels ( e.g. Fong Bros). I'm wanting to do an xs1 front drum brake with a 16" rim. I think i've read where this is done with a "16 rear rim and custom length spokes? Not sure. Anyway, I really like the look of the classic sawtooth or checker tread. I found these tires

http://www.amazon.com/Shinko-270-Series-Tire-Application/dp/B0068C8BW8

What are some pitfalls I need to watch out for? I don't want to waste time and money, so I thought I'd see what others with some experience under their belts would suggest.

Custom front spoke lengths? Are these tires gonna fit without modifications? Good source for custom spokes?

Oh, I have a hardtail with stock forks...

Thanks

Dave

As far as spokes go. Contact Matt at Buchanan Spokes best to call him. They're the source for all spoke wheel needs for me. Top people.

Well I cannot say much but when I got my 1982 XS650 it had a 16 inch rear tire on it so I know it can be done since I have one. The boy wants it for his bike that he is building and I prefer the 18 so we swapped them

Im not exactly sure, but if you plan on running fenders, fork braces, or anything else around the wheel diameter and width you may want to make sure that they will fit. 5.00 x 16 is a FAT large tire. I have a 4.00 x 16 firestones and they are rather fat and the stock front fender will not fit under it.

HTH

Use stock rear spokes for a 16 if you have an xs1 front hub. They are about an 1/8" too long but you can grind the ends off once the wheel is built. Otherwise Buchannans is the way to go. They have all my info on file but I never did a 16 on a stock front hub. I only did it on xs1's

Back