Any recommendation for locks?

BadMoto

XS650 Dummy
Reaction score
Hello Fellow riders,
I recently bought a 83 xs650. It doesn't have any lock system. I would really appreciate if you could recommend any good lock equipment out there that will keep my bike safe. Thanks everyone.

Hello Fellow riders,
I recently bought a 83 xs650. It doesn't have any lock system. I would really appreciate if you could recommend any good lock equipment out there that will keep my bike safe. Thanks everyone.

Hi Moto,
you sure about that? Remove the little plastic lower right-hand side panel and open the little plastic door behind it to see if the bike's original safety chain & lock are still there.
The lock works with the bike's ignition key. The chain is about as sturdy as a dog-leash chain but it might deter a casual thief.
If the stock chain is long gone, I'd suggest checking the Harley dealer's stock of bank vault padlocks and ship anchor chains.
And there's always the steering lock. Turn the bars hard left then turn the key one click left to lock the steering then remove the key. Watch the thief push the bike in little circles.
But beware turning the key too far left. There's another click that leaves the steering locked AND turns the tail light on. Which makes sense in places where the law sez you need a light if you park in the street after dark.

Last edited:
Combo lock mod 1.jpg
My 78SE has a steering lock on the ignition switch. Was that lock not used on the 83??
I also use a combination lock on the back disc brake rotor.....................very simple and effective.

Last edited:
83 came with a lock and chain in a compartment below the RH side cover. LOL
For your normal parking spot, a chain and lock left wrapped around a pole or bolted to structure is really about the only effective lock for a bike two guys can easily wrestle into a pickup whether the fork/wheels will turn or not.

Gary................I don't think it would be "easy" for 2 lads to put a 460 lb bike into a pick up bed, unless they had a ramp to wheel it up into the bed. My combo lock on the rear disc does not allow for wheeling the bike up a ramp, plus my steering is locked to the full left.
Maybe if both lads weigh about 220 to 250 lbs each, and work out regularly at the gym, they could do it.
Yes, they could cut my lock off with bolt cutters, and maybe they could bust my steering lock, and maybe they just happen to have a ramp with them.

My locking set-up only stops the casual thief, that has not planned the caper. If they have cased your bike for a while and its planned out with a truck with a ramp, a bolt cutter, and a crow bar etc. then yes they will succeed at taking your bike.

I have seen some videos where the bike owner is using real marine anchor chain that is really heavy, and he has the chain embedded into concrete. That works well but only when the bike is at your home. That can't help you when you park your bike at a location away from your home.

If you think about it logically, the street you live on has 3 or 4 bikes parked, and the other 3 are all $10,000 to $20,000 modern bikes, which bikes do you think will get stolen.

Careful RG a member on here, kinda from your neighborhood had his XS650 bobber stolen. Regina IIRC.
Some kid with a chooper project going may WANT an xs650 parts donor more than a late model sport bike. I have a had a lot of stuff stolen over the years, car, lawn mower, water heater, the wheels off my older chevy truck, really, came out in the morning, the truck was sitting on the brake disks, near countless power tools. But never have had a motorcycle, jacket, helmet or even gloves taken. So far anyways, life goes on. I have gotten bikes with locked up wheels in my van several times, with the aid of the seller. One was a KZ1300 that weighed near double an XS650. Ramp is handy, but not really needed by a couple of clever young bucks.
two moving dollies to wheel it to a convenient working location would do it. Armed with a battery angle grinder, not much is impervious. Automotive cat converter thefts are dirt common in some areas.
Neighbor here had all the tools stolen out of a long new house construction project THREE times. Third time they had 'em on video. Tracked them to a pole shed in Iowa it was filled with tools from a three state area. We had three semi loads of cheese stolen here in Wisconsin. The empty trailers were found later.

Stick a pipe or 2x4 through the end of the bike with the locked wheel and two guys can walk off with it. 460/2/2=115 pounds each, at waist height, they won't even break a sweat.

Careful RG a member on here, kinda from your neighborhood had his XS650 bobber stolen. Regina IIRC.
Some kid with a chooper project going may WANT an xs650 parts donor more than a late model sport bike. I have a had a lot of stuff stolen over the years, car, lawn mower, water heater, the wheels off my older chevy truck, really, came out in the morning, the truck was sitting on the brake disks, near countless power tools. But never have had a motorcycle, jacket, helmet or even gloves taken. So far anyways, life goes on. I have gotten bikes with locked up wheels in my van several times, with the aid of the seller. One was a KZ1300 that weighed near double an XS650. Ramp is handy, but not really needed by a couple of clever young bucks.
two moving dollies to wheel it to a convenient working location would do it. Armed with a battery angle grinder, not much is impervious. Automotive cat converter thefts are dirt common in some areas.
Neighbor here had all the tools stolen out of a long new house construction project THREE times. Third time they had 'em on video. Tracked them to a pole shed in Iowa it was filled with tools from a three state area. We had three semi loads of cheese stolen here in Wisconsin. The empty trailers were found later.
KZ1300 at about 692 lbs divide by 2 =346 lbs, so about 173 lbs for each of 2 guys lifting into the van. You must be in very good physical condition Gary! However a van height from the road is maybe 28", while a pick-up truck is about 35" these days. Pick up trucks have much higher tail gates than they did a while back. Marketing people at the manufacturers keep raising the trucks.

Gary if you can lift 173 lbs by yourself, you must be one of those guys that can lift an XS650 engine out of the frame and onto a work bench by yourself. At my advanced age, I limit myself to about 65 lbs as a safe lift.

Last edited:
Gary................I don't think it would be "easy" for 2 lads to put a 460 lb bike into a pick up bed, unless they had a ramp to wheel it up into the bed. My combo lock on the rear disc does not allow for wheeling the bike up a ramp, plus my steering is locked to the full left. - - -
If you think about it logically, the street you live on has 3 or 4 bikes parked, and the other 3 are all $10,000 to $20,000 modern bikes, which bikes do you think will get stolen.
Hi RG, but what if there's four of the bastards, eh?
And no matter what bikes are parked nearby, it's the bike they need parts from that gets stolen.
And which is the most likely to need parts that ain't easy to find, a shiny new Tupperware bike or an antique?

And on a related subject, I make a free offer to list members of my latest concept, the time/distance-fused automobile sound system/nailbomb combination.
It'll simply blow your mind!

KZ1300 at about 692 lbs divide by 2 =346 lbs, so about 173 lbs for each of 2 guys lifting into the van. You must be in very good physical condition Gary! However a van height from the road is maybe 28", while a pick-up truck is about 35" these days. Pick up trucks have much higher tail gates than they did a while back. Marketing people at the manufacturers keep raising the trucks.

Gary if you can lift 173 lbs by yourself, you must be one of those guys that can lift an XS650 engine out of the frame and onto a work bench by yourself. At my advanced age, I limit myself to about 65 lbs as a safe lift.

The KZ1300 era ended about 2000, was practically in my prime then.
We used a ramp, I bring a long ramp on bike buys. 11', made out of part a fiberglass semi loading ramp. I also work the terrain for the lowest angle lowest lift over height. But for that KZ it was drag it up a bit stop rest repeat. The good news was it wouldn't roll back either. I have had a few interesting minutes rolling big pig bikes DOWN the ramp by myself. Too bad I don't have video doing that to a bike with no front brakes. Keep one foot behind the rear tire roll till it stops on my shoe, reset, get the foot out and back a few more inches, repeat. Getting me down the step stool to the ground is a bit tricky while balancing 800 lbs with one foot behind the bike! I get SO impatient when there is a new to me bike in the van!
PS it had fairing bags and crash bars added.
Like when riding I use the ditches a lot to load. Yes I still pull my XS motors by myself and set them on the bench. but at 61 how much longer????? I use a hand cart to get them back and forth from shed to garage. 175 lbs. at waist height up 6 or 8" is no big deal. my wife could do that.
It was a handful backing this out of the van by myself. Heck it's a handful getting it from the driveway into the garage without starting it.
While motorcycle camping, hiking is always a nervous deal, leaving a bike with all my stuff on it parked at some remote trail head for most of a day. Wondering if it will all be there when I get back

Attachments

• 00O0O_hwqh4f0sTzU_1200x900.jpg
    00O0O_hwqh4f0sTzU_1200x900.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 141
Thank you all for your input. From what I read, it seems like all we can do is take precautions. If your bike is targeted, then he, she or they will find a way.

Locks only keep honest people honest.
I have a set of three keyed alike big ol' Master padlocks an about ten feet of 3/8" truckers chain. One lock in the front disc, one in the rear disc or sprocket the third in the chain around a very large immovable object.
Leo

....I'm in favour of the nailbomb.

....couldn't happen to a nicer couple (or four) of guys.

Yup - I bought one of these little gadgets at a bike show last year and it certainly does prevent the bike from being rolled anywhere. Its made in New Zealand BTW - I think its the only thing I have ever owned that was made there. Anyhow, when I used it on my 730+ lb Honda ST1300 - I figured that they'd have to either cut off the handlebars and brake hoses or use a crane to pick the darned thing up - and that if they wanted it that badly...then go ahead. Just be certain to twist that throttle hard so that when you crash - you ARE killed.

....but, I must admit that I still like Fred's nailbomb idea......

Stick a pipe or 2x4 through the end of the bike with the locked wheel and two guys can walk off with it. 460/2/2=115 pounds each, at waist height, they won't even break a sweat.

This is true. I've unloaded my bikes with a buddy and were both stronger guys and it was ZERO problem getting in and out of a truck bed.

Back