Any roofing tips???

Frankenbob

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I am tired of driving 40 miles 1 way to work on my bike. I don't have a garage so I keep it at work in my warehouse, well yester day I brought home 250 oak pallets to build me a work shop with. I have a slab 18' x 55' I'll use 15' x 18' I am just not sure how to do the roof thinking of just a slant with old barn tin. Any tips or advice??

Oak pallets make good hog pens.
Nail on the ridges not the gullies.
The greater the pitch the better to shed water.

15' or 18' is a large span. A lean to, (flat roof), will require substantial sized rafters, (check your local building codes), to take the span. Even if you don't do it by the book or local Council or whatever, the structural integrity shoud be adhered to for safety sake

A pitched roof will require smaller sized rafters but will be more square Meterage over all

Thanks for the reply's and tips,I will be checking with a local builder for safety but I am far enough out there really is no codes or permits people just build what they want and i have seen some pretty shabby structure's I wouldn't want to be in or near.hoping mine comes out nice I got a trailer load of cypress siding to do the exterior.

I mention 2 types of roofs and why the timbers requirements are important and all you can take from it and comment about is my reference to building codes, i wasn't even suggesting a permit.

Good luck

Sorry For Leaving that out,I do appreciate it and realize it is a large span for a flat/sloped roof. I wanted to try and stay a way from a pitched I was thinking of using 2x6 16' lengths and spacing the every 16" then topping them with corrugated steal / tin. Maybe 8" higher in the front sloped to the back.

Find the Monte Burch 'Building sheds and polebarns' books, usually at Tractor Supply, Home Depot, ...etc. He has tables/charts of freespan loading of rafters and joists of various spans and timber types, and many tips/tricks for roofing/siding tin...

2x6 is to small to span 15' without sagging, doubling up the quantity would help a little but it would still sag, size of the timber is just to small

2"x6" would make a pitched roof easy. And we Space trusses, rafters at .900 of a meter, 1 Yd for you guys.

Probably get away with 8"x3" but i still wouldn't be putting to much weight on the roof. If you lay the rafters across the shed and screw the iron straight to the rafters it will save the weight of batons.

The type of timber is also important, some sag more than others. You need to know the local timber types, to answer what type of timber is rated best for your situation

Thank you I would've thought that would be strong enough but I have no clue that's why I asked, do you think a 1' pitch would be enough if I ran a 2x12 down the middle and 2x6 for rafters? the roof will only have a light weight tin roof not going with shingles or anything like that. And I will check different timber types around here I think most of it is treated pine But I know a place I can get ceder milled however i may need it but that will cost me.I am on a tight budget hints the use of pallets for framing I just need it to keep dry and secure. Thank you for your help.

Ok so I am tired of driving 40 miles 1 way to work on my bike. I don't have a garage so I keep it at work in my warehouse, well yester day I brought home 250 oak pallets to build me a work shop with. I have a slab 18' x 55' I'll use 15' x 18' I am just not sure how to do the roof thinking of just a slant with old barn tin. Any tips or advice??
.................. hi guys a few years ago i built a 8metre x 4metre slopping roof ,,it was a workshop to house my tools and both my motorcycles,,the roof was all done with new zealand treated pine 8x2 the roofing was coloured bond sheet metal put on with roofing screws and rubber washers ,anyway it all finished up greatregards oldbiker

8x2 would probably be ok if you aren't using battens and are screwing the iron straight to the rafters. Span the 15' not the 18' with the 8x2

Flatter the pitch, on a pitched roof, the more horizontal pressure on the wall

Quick sketch of a pitched and Flat, (lean-too).

Not the best photocopy because some of it is in pencil. Download it or double click and then click to increase.

Attachments

• Pitched and flat, (leantoo). 001.jpg
    Pitched and flat, (leantoo). 001.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Back