any shops specialize in xs building?

Ant85

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm interested in getting a bike. I really want a xs bobber. The only thing is I cannot build it myself. I mean, I could but with my work, personal time, and lack of knowledge about building a bike it will probably take me forever to complete. Are there any shops that buy stock xs's and build xs bobbers/choppers to sell? I've checked online ads and there isn't much around here in Virginia. I have about a 5k budget and I've seen some for sale in other states for under that..... if not then I guess i could attempt it myself. Tear it apart and have someone weld on a hard tail and other fab work that will be needed, but I'm the type of person who puts things back together and then notices I have extra nuts and bolts left over lol. Any help is appreciated.

Posted via Mobile

older machines require pretty regular up keep. Even if they do the work you better be able to get your hands dirty to the maint. Carbs require some effing aroung with once in a while. They arent like new bikes.

Oh yeah for sure. I know I can keep up with maintiance and what not, but as far as taking apart a whole bike and putting it back together I'm not too confident.

Posted via Mobile

I would just go for it build you're own bike. Nothing like having a bike that you can look at and say hey I built that. I just started my own build today and with the people and info on this site alone I have full confidance in doing this.

Yeah I would take more pride into owning the bike. I've been putting this off for years already. If i do it myself I wouldn't be done before this winter. I dont have much free time on my hands.

Posted via Mobile

There have been many people here who were very unhappy with some of the XS's shops they have trusted their work with. Really, these machines are about as basic as a motor gets and there are a lots of guys here who can answer any question that you might have. No one will care about the quality of work done to your bike like you will.
jefft

Posted via Mobile

You guys are bringing up some good points. Maybe I will reconsider of buying an already built xs.

I found a shop called g&l choppers that builds them but they are a bit too far from virginia

Posted via Mobile

Just build it . It's not rocket science unless you want it to be .
You'll have plenty of questions and we'll have plenty of answers .
Look for images and narrow it down to a few that stick with you .
Get a picture in your mind and don't be afraid to change in the face of your abilities or parts
The first time around be careful of preconceived notions and your own imagination .
These engines are easy but only tricky in a very few places .

You will never be able to maintain these things if you don't build it to begin with .
I can see farming out lace and true , bore work , valve and seat , maybe even someone to check your first few valve adjusts . The rest can be done with common tools with the addition of a torque wrench .

Just do it

~kop

Best to get a runner first, gives you a base to go from. Then when you get to tearing it apart and then putting it back together you can say...."Well, it did run before I did ________."

I'm sure there would be some members here who have for sale or would build a full bike for you.

Seeing a few part and nearly finished choppers in the for sale/classifieds lately.

If you don't have the time to build one, don't get talked into doing it, you will get pissed with it and out goes the enjoyment. Important to learn to maintain it yourself though, (plenty of help here), would cost to much in a garage and most of the time you are paying them to learn how to work on an XS

Ant85,
There are several shops that specialize in the XS.
BUT there isn't enough 650 only traffic to keep a shop open,
so they do bobbers and choppers in other flavors also.
Watch the banner ads and look in the shops section.
I haven't counted, but going out on a limb I'll say there at least 5
shops familiar with and using the 650 as a base.

If you have been putting it off, and are just starting, might as well take your time doing your own customized bike. If it didn't eat you up enough to make you go buy one yet, it will once you get the "bug" when you get under way. If you are not feeling excited and motivated once it is in-house, it might not be for you. The good news is, you might find someone with a finished bike you like, who wants to do another. And if you have a good start on a candidate basket, you could swing a deal and help each other out.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and only buy a bike with a good clean title.
jefft

Posted via Mobile

I'm sure there would be some members here who have for sale or would build a full bike for you.

Seeing a few part and nearly finished choppers in the for sale/classifieds lately.

If you don't have the time to build one, don't get talked into doing it, you will get pissed with it and out goes the enjoyment. Important to learn to maintain it yourself though, (plenty of help here), would cost to much in a garage and most of the time you are paying them to learn how to work on an XS

I know of g&l. Do you know the names of them? I'm forced to only use my phone for internet right now and the banner ads dont appear to be working on my phone

Posted via Mobile

I'm pretty sure I can keep it running and fixing things on it. I do have some mechanic skills. I work on my cars myself. Just worried about any Fab work and especially wiring. I guess i can look on here for people in virginia and become friends with them so when i did need help I could ask them.

I actually know where a stock xs is. Its been sitting for like 3 years in a shed. Its my brother in laws. But he wouldnt get rid of it then. All was wrong with it was a gas leak. I'm sure other stuff might be wrong with it but he said the gas leak was the only major thing

Posted via Mobile

Hey guys. I'm interested in getting a bike. I really want a xs bobber. The only thing is I cannot build it myself. I mean, I could but with my work, personal time, and lack of knowledge about building a bike it will probably take me forever to complete. Are there any shops that buy stock xs's and build xs bobbers/choppers to sell? I've checked online ads and there isn't much around here in Virginia. I have about a 5k budget and I've seen some for sale in other states for under that..... if not then I guess i could attempt it myself. Tear it apart and have someone weld on a hard tail and other fab work that will be needed, but I'm the type of person who puts things back together and then notices I have extra nuts and bolts left over lol. Any help is appreciated.

Posted via Mobile

There are plenty of us Virginians on the forum. I would say buy a runner, sketch out plans on what you want it to end up like and let the forum do the rest. Richmond is close to me and I know some excellent folks to get pretty much everything you could possibly need done. From wheels, to fabrication, to paint, to motors, etc.

Find the runner then lets talk :cheers:

Also, if you absolutely have to pay someone to build it for you, go and see this guy: Classified Moto. He's in richmond and is a solid, stand up dude. I wouldn't do G&L or anything like that. No offense, just an opinion.

There are plenty of us Virginians on the forum. I would say buy a runner, sketch out plans on what you want it to end up like and let the forum do the rest. Richmond is close to me and I know some excellent folks to get pretty much everything you could possibly need done. From wheels, to fabrication, to paint, to motors, etc.

Find the runner then lets talk :cheers:

Thanks man I appreciate the offer. If you run across any for sale in your area let me know. I will also pay you if you came out and checked the bike out with me before I bought anything. I'm sure you know what to look for as far as problems/known issues with these bikes. I am going to try to talk to my brother in law and see what the deal is on his bike. Ive already got plenty of ideas of what i want the bike to look like.

Again, thanks.

Posted via Mobile

Back