Any stock high milers before rebuild?

buddy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing how far some of you had gone without a teardown. Reason: I got my old bike back that I sold in'82 and it now has 45000km on it but engine runs fine and compression is 150 in both cylinders. It had not run in 15plus years and was in a barn - see pictures in album. I farm and if it aint broke I won't fix it.

there was some talk of the cam chain guides going out at 28/30k miles but if it's not making noise or spewing oil and the bottom end isn't full of black plastic/aluminum chips from the guide, run it

I have nearly twice that and there's no sign it's been rebuilt. I know it hasn't been since 17,000mi, because I've owned it since then.

If it's not showing symptoms then it's not sick is it?

So far so good. Nice to hear from some high milers without issues. After not being run for over 15yrs I was surprised with the compression, 150psi. It smoked a little on the left cylinder but after a few runs on the stand it cleared up! Doing spokes,rims, shocks, forks, tank and side cases- ready in the spring.

Around 1000 miles of riding should tell you what it's like. See what shows up in that time.

80,000 miles on my faithful '78/E. Still running good when I sold it. Started to lose compression on the left side.

80,000 miles on my faithful '78/E. Still running good when I sold it. Started to lose compression on the left side.

Is that mileage with no engine work? There was a different guy who would quote high mileage for his motor, but from other threads it appeared to be in a continual state of rebuild...

Is that mileage with no engine work? There was a different guy who would quote high mileage for his motor, but from other threads it appeared to be in a continual state of rebuild...

What is your understanding of the title of this thread?

Yours is a real human interest story about getting your old bike back, congratulations. I like your method of getting it out of your pick up, most of us don't have that sort of equipment. The barn looks like you are from Kingston area, or maybe the Ottawa valley.

Last edited:
Lakview:
Very good, you are close. Haybay area west on Kingston. I get a warm and fuzzy when I walk by the old thing, brings back lots of happy memories when the kids were young. You don't often get a second chance at anything in this life!

For some reason there aren't many stock or rebuilt XS650's with lots of miles. My '81 only got 3,880 I saw a '70 a few nights ago with less than 13,000 most only have around 25,000.

What is your understanding of the title of this thread?

Ha ha! Just seeing if it was the same as yours. Because many here take it for granted you need certain new engine parts in as little as 25k.

The odometer on mine has gone beyond fifty thousand miles. Sump screen replacement is as far as I've gone into the engine. I bought the bike new.

Besides no major work, it also ought to exclude modifications like oil coolers, and etc.

marty:
Now that is encouraging! I see by your collection your right in love with these old things. I grew up on the old English stuff;Francis Barnett, Matchless, Triumph, Sunbeam, Norton- if you bought them new you were lucky to get 1ooo trouble free miles before the headaches started. So this Yamaha 650 sure was a breath of fresh air you could actually get to where you were going! Great history too Horax, Hosk then Yamaha.

marty:
Now that is encouraging! I see by your collection your right in love with these old things. I grew up on the old English stuff;Francis Barnett, Matchless, Triumph, Sunbeam, Norton- if you bought them new you were lucky to get 1ooo trouble free miles before the headaches started. So this Yamaha 650 sure was a breath of fresh air you could actually get to where you were going! Great history too Horax, Hosk then Yamaha.

The SK is the bike I've had since new. The dealer installed a Derale oil cooler into the line to the head on the front of the engine. It has been there ever since. BUT, since I have an oil cooler, the miles don't count. :wtf:

Gives me confidence to know some folks get high miles before teardown. Good to know before I spend big bucks on frame suspension tank etc. I'm looking at spring to ride down memory lane!

^Aight! Good to have confidence. You know, a big factor here that we haven't paid much attention to is what kind of miles the bike has. Measure...listen...smell...look... You could destroy an xs650 in one mile if you wanted to. Has it been jerked around or treated with the dignity and respect it deserves. The awe that it deserves. Destroy, or at least damage...

Back