Any xs650ers in New Mexico?

maxpower3

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to start converting an '82 xs650 into a hardtail bobber. Anyone here in New Mexico have any experience with such a project? If so, PM me. Just curious. Seems like I haven't noticed a single poster from NM.

yep im here man, live in Las Cruces where are you at? pretty new to this forum as i just got my first project xs, got a shop lined out with all kinds off cool tools but not sure of hardtailing anything yet.

Well thats three of us with then 30 miles of Albuquerque. Well will have to go for a ride some time. I haven't seen a single person even riding a xs. Glad to see there are othere people lol:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

I don't live there any longer but I lived in Hillsboro for years.
I sure miss year around population of 200 people.
And stepping out the back door and walking into the wild and hunting for my food.

xsKid, I used to be at least average wrench. Work/Biz keeps me out of the garage now except for a few hours a year (seems like). Id rather be riding, so I'm looking for someone to help that knows XS650s, not someone looking for the code plugin.
It's mild restoration work at the mo'. Brakes and carbs.
Doug Marchbanks at Bobby Js used to be that super wrench guy but he retired and I don't know what became of him. I bought mine new there in '80.

Many many years ago I organized a ride or two of XS650 society members for NM it was good times. The usual mix of kids /work obligations etc., took me out of it. I was member 1811. BTW I'm about 4-5 miles east of the crest rd.
bt24 email me I'm on the west side all the time.

email is bob@spiritedusa.com

Thanks for the replies!

Bob

Thread exhumation

I've got a '77 long term cafe project in the garage in Santa Fe. It was my dad's when he was younger than me!

I'm in saving up mode to get my Rosie back on the Turquoise Trail. There are folks who can help all over the area.

Go for it :thumbsup:

PLUS to have the heritage of it being your pops bike, you need to do it!

current status:

Not quite Turquoise Trail ready, but it'll get there some day. It's already been a few years., although I did manage to get the carbs on last week (vapor blasted, rebuilt, jetted with my best guesses). Next step is to install the PMA.

IMG_1493_zpsnujpjqoa.jpg

Picking up an XS in the NE heights area of Albuquerque. It runs but but misses and idles rough. I want to get it running right and ride for a little bit before I start modifications. Anyone in ABQ that is good with these things that I can call for advice?

Picking up an XS in the NE heights area of Albuquerque. It runs but but misses and idles rough. I want to get it running right and ride for a little bit before I start modifications. Anyone in ABQ that is good with these things that I can call for advice?
Bobby js is the oldest dealer around ...multi gen family operation. PM me for simple stuff. or better email. bob@spiritedusa.com

Glad to see a tiny little NM action on here. Man, I just noticed that the above post was a year and a half ago and I've made close to zero progress since then. This winter is going to be it! (maybe).

I know how you feel, I am trying to find time to get "Rosie" to Bobby J's and just get her done! I seem to be too busy, forever.

Update: New Mexico
Bobby J's no longer will work on old bikes as the techs dont know how to deal wit them.
Moto Authority is a 10 year old reputable shop in ALbuquerque. If you bring it by they will evaluate if they can handle the job and yeah or ney.
There is a shop that does work on old bikes near Bobby Js but not sure about their rep.

Best wishes for 2019 to all XS650 fans.
Bob in San Antonito NM
The San Pedro Mountain area off Frost Rd
BobLange.com

Back