Short People

Shelby

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, need some suggestions, I can kinda see the point at which I'll have the parts that are currently scattered all over the house turning back into a functional motorcycle. With that, though, comes a new mission. I'm about an inch shorter than I was 25 years ago. Way back when, my '82 fit me perfectly. The '83 was a tiny bit taller. Thinking I may need to sculpt the seat and give myself a little more reach. I don't want to screw up the OEM seat. Haven't done auto upholstery in a few decades but we still have industrial sewing machines. I can make a new leather seat cover. Not sure the best way to go about reshaping though. An electric carving knife, maybe? And are all the 650 seats interchangeable? Anyone done a project like this?

Any '80 and up Special seat will work. In my opinion, the '80 Special seat was the best lookin' of the lot.
Yeah, a 'lectric carving knife works great for shaping foam. There's lots of Youtube videos on the subject.
You say you don't want to screw up the OEM seat. Well, just so happens I have an '82...'83 seat I have no plans for. PM me if you're interested.

My '80SG.... you know, a little motivation pic... :wink2:

1709511780256.png

Any '80 and up Special seat will work. In my opinion, the '80 Special seat was the best lookin' of the lot.
Yeah, a 'lectric carving knife works great for shaping foam. There's lots of Youtube videos on the subject.
You say you don't want to screw up the OEM seat. Well, just so happens I have an '82...'83 seat I have no plans for. PM me if you're interested.

View attachment 262972
Oh man, she's gorgeous! LOVE that color. Wanted to paint mine but unlike my old '82, the side cover emblems don't have C-Claps on the backside holding them on. Just sent a PM about the seat. Thanks much!

Forks and shocks lowered will get your feet flatter to the ground, it will affect your side stand stance making the bike more upright when in use. Putting the bike on the service stand becomes a bear. Use a 2X6 laid flat and back the rear tire on......it adds what you lost, makes it normal(?) again.

Forks and shocks lowered will get your feet flatter to the ground, it will affect your side stand stance making the bike more upright when in use. Putting the bike on the service stand becomes a bear. Use a 2X6 laid flat and back the rear tire on......it adds what you lost, makes it normal(?) again.
Not really sure what the difference in stance was between the '82 Special and the first '83 Heritage Special, but it was toes VS flat. Not a real issue till I put my foot down in a puddle that was really a pot hole. Much to the amusement of the teenagers on the sidewalk. Like a super slow "Oh crap" prat fall. :D

I put this together to look at the different models and their differences, Haven't done a, difference, description on the 81 and later Specials but they are easy to see and the main differences was the change from Mags to gazillion spoke wheels. 82 was the first Heritage Special and the difference was the wheels and also Yamaha gave it all Black chrome. 83 was the same with the wheels, but back to bright chrome.

Also a collection of information.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Last edited:

View attachment 262972
Those 80 seats are rare as hen's teeth too. I've been looking for one for one of my 80 SG's as well...no joy so far. Been using one off my Tracker 81 Special II.

Those 80 seats are rare as hen's teeth too. I've been looking for one for one of my 80 SG's as well...no joy so far. Been using one off my Tracker 81 Special II.
That seat came to me for the cost of it's year. Still had that "new car" smell to it. I fell into it and came out smelling like... well, you know, a new car. :wink2:

Not really sure what the difference in stance was between the '82 Special and the first '83 Heritage Special, but it was toes VS flat. Not a real issue till I put my foot down in a puddle that was really a pot hole. Much to the amusement of the teenagers on the sidewalk. Like a super slow "Oh crap" prat fall. :D
In stock form, the ‘82 and ‘83 Heritage Specials are exactly the same. You may find your bike still fits. It’s not likely you lost that height in your legs.

Anyone know if the XS650 '82 seat is the same as the 82 XJ650?
If so, I have a spare I would give the OP (spare '82/'83 XJ650 seat).

my 78 seat pivots on the side, my 82 and 83 XJ650 has a lock on the back right and inserts /hooks at the tank end.

Anyone know if the XS650 '82 seat is the same as the 82 XJ650?
If so, I have a spare I would give the OP (spare '82/'83 XJ650 seat).

my 78 seat pivots on the side, my 82 and 83 XJ650 has a lock on the back right and inserts /hooks at the tank end.
According to Partzilla, no. The '81, '82 and '83 XS share the same seat. No XJ's listed.

1709569494369.png

In stock form, the ‘82 and ‘83 Heritage Specials are exactly the same. You may find your bike still fits. It’s not likely you lost that height in your legs.
I try not to use the word REMEMBER much, cause, yeah, mine's terrible, but Dave, the guy I bought it off of, said he thought it was the shorter European model. What I've found, though, shows the Euro had 18" wheels instead of 16"s. Which would have made her taller, not shorter, wouldn't it?

.... also... those pics with the PhotoBucket watermark can be a bit of a pain to make out sometimes.
Right click on the pic and select "Open Image in New Tab." When it pops up the image will be smaller, but the watermark will be gone. If you want to see the full size image without the watermark, right click and select "Save image as."
From this...
1709745759185.png

To this...
1709745876181.png

Back