Anybody determined what (if?) other rearsets work on XS?

ThrottleJock

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble justifying the big money for aftermarket rearsets. Wondering if, perhaps, by some freak of engineering/luck a stock set from another bike fits. Or is close enough to fab up a couple adapter plates for.

FZR? CBR? Thruxton? Gotta be something out there on ebay that's close. Of course I could measure and do the research myself but I figured I'd check with the experts first.

Jim I was actually reading up on your old posts last night, it did seem to be a challenge to get the linkages set up. This is a daily rider for me so it's gotta be right without too much fumbling - I'll check out the link. Thanks!

TJ,

I finally gave up on the shift linkage and shortened the shifter arm and mouned it on backwards. My Triumph Speed Four was set up this way. Shift pattern is reversed race style and I adapted to the 1 up 4 down quite eaisly. The GSXR foot pegs and rear brake was a snap to mount. I just cut off the studs for the foot peg arms and drilled and tapped. I'll take afew pics if it helps you.

Yeah that would be awesome if you could take pics! I don't mind race pattern I ran it that way on my WERA bikes.
Here's the pics form my phone hope they are clear enough. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Everything is working perfectly for me.
On the shifter side I just cut the peg stud of and drillled and tapped the stub and the other mounting bracket just fell into place. ON the shortened shift arm I drilled and tapped for the shifter peg used locktite and a jam nut on the inside of the arm with a bolt of your choice I used a M8x1.25.

IMG00053-20100819-1520.jpg

Same for the brake side. The amazing beauty is tha I could use the GSXR M/C which really enhances stopping performance and was so simple to install.

IMG00054-20100819-1521.jpg

I adapted 83 Honda V45 Intercepter units to one of my projects with some simple brackets that weld to the backside of the rear downtubes of the frame. You do need to cut off the stock mount studs though. I will get pics tomorrow and post em.

Im making a set for my cafe project. They will be out of billet aluminum for the mounts and levers and pegs. I just finished the mock up portion, and am getting ready to make a couple prototype sets. Im a CNC machinist by trade, so they will be perfect. I made some for my GT550 cafe project here, and had our engineer here at the shop, do all the stress analasys on them. I put 2000 miles on this set, and sold 3 others.
100_0025.jpg

100_0010.jpg

Not sure yet. It wont be antwhere near the 395 for the fast from the past. I cant make a new shifter arm, so anybody will have to either buy one from Fast, or what i did on my GT in the pic, is use the stock lever, turned 90 degrees, and drilled a couple hole on it. That worked great, and cost me nothing.:thumbsup:
Im going to try and keep a set with mounts, levers and pegs, UNDER $185., with linkage!

Im working on offset levers next, to clear the mounting bolts. I think that the kick starter will still have to be bent. Ill do my best on that one, Cuz im runnin kick only on my cafe build...

Not sure yet. It wont be antwhere near the 395 for the fast from the past. I cant make a new shifter arm, so anybody will have to either buy one from Fast, or what i did on my GT in the pic, is use the stock lever, turned 90 degrees, and drilled a couple hole on it. That worked great, and cost me nothing.:thumbsup:
Im going to try and keep a set with mounts, levers and pegs, UNDER $185., with linkage!

Im working on offset levers next, to clear the mounting bolts. I think that the kick starter will still have to be bent. Ill do my best on that one, Cuz im runnin kick only on my cafe build...

Anyway to get on a list if you do end up making them? I'd be interested for sure!

Anybody interested can shoot me a PM with rearsets in the subject.

Im making my new upper triple clamp with an integrated dash right now. Ill get back to the rear sets right after that. Maybe in the next couple weeks. I have them drawn up, and made a prototype for fitment, I just have to make the actual ones for my bike. When I do, Ill make a few sets.

Back